- open
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

element.8 wrote:
Android wrote:it could spawn a whole new genre of EDM
because that's precisely what we need these days... :shock:
:shock: Yes it's precisely what we need! something new, something fresh! Evolution is a good thing!

How could you not want to discover a new genre of music? Was getting into techno, house, minimal whatever you want to call it such a horrible experience that you can't listen to any form of new music ever again?
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

even if there's not electronic music in there (which I doubt) it would still be a blast getting lost in there for a week or so and just listen to all those forgotten jems. There's probably a lot of crap in there, but surely stuff there that blows your mind.
If I was a rich boy, lalalalala. :lol:
Reddman
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Reddman »

DJ Shadow would sh*t himself :)
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

one man's junk is another man's treasure - lets keep that in mind.. personally I'd love to dig in there... there could be some cool gems in there, who knows? I hope he gets someone to buy it but I do believe it may be hard for him...

But If he really cares about the music he could sell it for much less than he is asking now or even donate it (thats if he doesn't need the money) to preserve the records. I think the artists of this music (at least some of them) deserve to have their work saved.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

I don't think this guy is exactly targeting your average Joe personal collector. I think it's great that he's collected so many Vinyls, and probably has quite a few rare / out of print and no longer available ones in there. There is some value to preserving history for the sake of preserving history - even if not every record in the pile is a gem.

Part of the problem is not only coming up with the $3mill, but also the transportation and storage of the Vinyls. It's gotta take up quite a bit of space, and even if someone just happened to have $3mill to burn - they probably don't have the space / resources to deal with that much Vinyl.
Magnus Molin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Magnus Molin »

markenstien wrote:I have to say i'm actually really shocked about the responses to this post.
Funnily enough i though most people on here were passionate about music and would find this guys dedication to music and the pure passion he shows for it really incredible.

I for one would like to shake his hand and spend a long long time looking through his collection. In my eyes he's a great man who shows a respect and love for music that is thouroughly lacking in todays music culture.

And saying a man who has owned a record shop all his life and spent every penny he's earned on collecting music hasnt given his life to music is just crazy! He's given more of his life to music than all of todays bandwagon jumping scene chasing producers/Djs that we see so much of around here.

Take it easy guys and maybe one day when you have collected all the music from your life some jumped up little kid can tell you its all sht and youre a loser :P
I totally agree with you!
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

shypht wrote:I don't think this guy is exactly targeting your average Joe personal collector. I think it's great that he's collected so many Vinyls, and probably has quite a few rare / out of print and no longer available ones in there. There is some value to preserving history for the sake of preserving history - even if not every record in the pile is a gem.

Part of the problem is not only coming up with the $3mill, but also the transportation and storage of the Vinyls. It's gotta take up quite a bit of space, and even if someone just happened to have $3mill to burn - they probably don't have the space / resources to deal with that much Vinyl.
well, if you can cough up 3 million, I think you can just leave it where it is and rent a nice apartment somewhere in the neighborhood.
Or rent a few containers to ship it.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

--fucking double posts--
Last edited by JackNine on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.