mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

element.8 wrote:
Android wrote:it could spawn a whole new genre of EDM
because that's precisely what we need these days... :shock:

it's not like its not going to happen anyway

there's some 11 yr old kid somewhere,
playing his Nintendo DS or Guitar Hero.
in 7 years, he'll be the next Kurt Cobain of EDM.

just depends on whose label he's going to be on ;)
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

one thing i dont agree with - when some of you say that most of the music is crap.

this is not beatport!! back then releasing a record was way harder than is now, and was also the combined effort of many ppl - you had to have a band, equipment, hire a studio, recording and mastering engineers and all those things that slowly fade away from today's industry. the money involved in putting a record out was alot more, so the barrier for releasing bullshit was alot higher. back then, there was quality control, a natural one too.
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

There were just as many factories of song writers + studio musicians cranking out crap let and right.

Where do you think the evil music business and payola came from?

Consider all the bubblegum pop, rockabilly, bad surf music, boring blues, uninspiring jazz, christian music, the redone and redone classical versions of handel's water music, big band jazz singles, ballads, those 4 neat guys in sweaters, and endless awful covers of everything I've already mentioned but in a different style than the original.

Not to say there arent gem's but really you pick any genre of music 80% of it isnt very good, it tow's the party line sure, its fun, thats great, but only the other 20% really sticks to be a cultural slice of life and genre defining hit!
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

I would love to spend a few days hearing what hes got.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

it may take 50 years to even find out about all the records he's sitting on..

they may not surface in the public mainstream for many many years ..

if ever - perhaps he should rip them digitally - create a market..

(then) sell his vinyl.. - after the buzz was given birth to..

:)
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

JackNine wrote: Ever heard of properly mastered CDs, Paul? They blow the crap out of your rare vinyls and their shelf-life is way better.
Show me a good sounding CD from the 1880's and I might agree with you. But I guess you will even have trouble finding a CD from 1982 that isn't already completely dissolved.
A shitty collection.
Well I guess you've already checked out his 2 1/2 million records to make such a valuable statement, right?
Amazing how the free market works, eh?
Amazing how ignorant people can be. This is a historical archive, not a discount item. That's totally beyond any market idea.
A million vinyls just for the sake of a million vinyls? Most people already have most of the content they want, and they're looking for specifics to fill the gaps, making this collection useless even as an archive.
He's not looking for private vinyl collectors. Think of this achive/collection thing once more, and then try to imagine something like a museum. If you can...
The whole line about how he's "given his life to music," that just kills me.
Oh hell, there's somebody more dedicated to something than I am. That thought just bloody kills me! :roll:
That's like saying, "HEY GUYS LOOK I DEDICATED MY LIFE TO ARCHIVING DANCE MUSIC -- I BOUGHT EVERY SONG ON BEATPORT AND NO ONE ELSE HAS THEM ALL! GIVE ME A MILLION DOLLARS SO I CAN PRESERVE IT FOR LIFE!"
You might consider the aspect of a virtual item vs. a physical item. Or you might consider that not everything you put a "like" in front makes up a comparison, but then again that might include starting to think, so maybe just leave it...
The problem is 99% of the purchased tracks are garbage and no self-respecting fan of this type of music would get anything out of it. All the "proper" tracks are already archived.
Brilliant! Now here's one guy who can tell us any proper redord from a garbage record without even listening to it, and then even give us an ultimate decision about what should be preserved for future mankind and what will better be blown into the limbo of unworthy, forgotten pop culture!

Even if you really wouldn't like the music on most of his records, and even if nobody else would (which I doubt), this is not about good or bad music, it's about music history, it's about having an archive of original, un-digitalized and therefore uncompressed recordings from the time they were made. If you can't see the value in it and think all music is best preserved on archive.org, we don't need to further discuss this. But from an archival standpoint it's way better to preserve vinyl where you basically just need a little needle and something to amplify the vibrations, than having a digital database that depends on a lot of technology in a data format that who knows how long will be legible.

And who knows how many last records of anything he has in his shelves?

This collection actualy IS af real worth for a music history institution. I just wonder why he is charging 3 million for it. He should just donate it to some museum if he wants it to be preserved. Truth is, academics really don't give a sh!t about pop culture history, so he's absolutely right about that. Music intellectuals usually have their head way up their ass and only carwe for what they themselves label "high art". That's really something to be sad about.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

:-flower
markenstien
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by markenstien »

I have to say i'm actually really shocked about the responses to this post.
Funnily enough i though most people on here were passionate about music and would find this guys dedication to music and the pure passion he shows for it really incredible.

I for one would like to shake his hand and spend a long long time looking through his collection. In my eyes he's a great man who shows a respect and love for music that is thouroughly lacking in todays music culture.

And saying a man who has owned a record shop all his life and spent every penny he's earned on collecting music hasnt given his life to music is just crazy! He's given more of his life to music than all of todays bandwagon jumping scene chasing producers/Djs that we see so much of around here.

Take it easy guys and maybe one day when you have collected all the music from your life some jumped up little kid can tell you its all sh!t and youre a loser :P