mixtapes - promo mixes

- open
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

This is what even the big dj name do too. They prepare a set of tunes which they will play all season long at all the big venues and at the smaller venues you hear them experimenting with newer stuff.
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

Dardis wrote:I'll completely pre-plan most sets to ensure that my mixes are in key, there's not huge jumps between sound types, I know the best cue points, etc. It takes absolutely ages to sort evertyhing out & some of the process does get tedious.

I've played blues guitar since I was a kid, where tight rhythm & perfect note choice is essential to sounding good. Guess this has made me so banal about putting a set together.
I take a similar approach to certain mixes that I want to put up on my podcast, etc.

I think there should be some clarity in definition:

Promo Mix: generally used to connect with promoters and solicit DJ gigs. For obvious reasons, it should reflect your current playing style and generally represent your capabilities in a less planned / more spontaneous environment.

Music/DJ Mix: generally just for kicks, podcasts, forums...or commercial releases, if you're that big. This may reflect a more planned musical expression, like a symphony performance.

Big name DJs obviously do both kinds. But DJs and promoters should be clear on which one they are providing / listening to.
stefspijk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by stefspijk »

just freestyling it!
The Hague...soulful city
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

For online sets/ blog posts i usually do a lot of pre-planning. For the X-Mix set i posted a while ago I kept planning the playlist and the best transition points for weeks ahead, and it absolutely wouldn't have been possible to make this mix on the fly.

Live I mostly improvise, but it helps a lot to have some records you know how to best mix together, and doing pre-planned sets at home teaches you a lot about tracks and how to best play them, so you can improvise a lot better with them.

Doing pre-planned mixing or at least practise with your tracks a home takes a lot of patience and dedication, and that's some qualities I totally miss in most sets I hear. There's people playing the same records over and over again and still don't know how to play them. That's really sad.

I don't know when this strange ideology of "only 100% improvised sets are good sets" ever came from. To me it sounds just stupid to argue that you do something better when you NOT practise it.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)