mixtapes - promo mixes

- open
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

mixtapes - promo mixes

Post by Rochey »

Had this conversation a lot with my friends.

Do you pre-plan your mixes or just play what comes to you?

I don't. I might know what the first 3 tracks are gonna be, but I wouldn't plan the whole thing.

Discuss
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I don't, and then maybe a bit in my head...
I think I always have an idea of what tracks I'm into at the moment, but if I get ideas during the mix I'll try it out for sure.
But I've been thinking lately that I wanted to prepare certain tracks for a mix, but I don't think I would plan the complete mix.
(this is for doing a mix(tape) at home)
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I have always received more compliments on mixes that were 100% completely random.. - not even the first record..

I find it extremely difficult to present something with passion that is preplanned...in some ways (to me) the dj is the gate keeper: and if something is already preplanned their is no excitement. - if you (as a dj) are not excited about it or caught in a moment then how would you expect or hope your listeners might be..

- just my take..
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

Rochey wrote:I might know what the first 3 tracks are gonna be, but I wouldn't plan the whole thing.
That's my basic plan when I play out. I'll have about three or four tracks pre-selected to establish my set & the crowd. The rest depends on what I'm feeling from the dancefloor & what's in my head.

Now, at home, I'll select an opener & maybe one more track at the most, beforehand. It's all up-in-the-air from there! ;)
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

I wouldn't knock pre-planned mixing... They are two very different forms of DJing...both are fun, to me, and both have their legitimate place in the DJing domain. Pre-planned mixing puts the challenge for me into months of exploration in the minutia of how tracks mesh together to create the tightest, most "perfect" musical statement - like a classical symphony. Spontaneous/live mixing obviously puts the challenge into the improvisational creativity that feeds off of the emotions from the people and the environment - like a jazz performance. Each kind of mixing emphasizes different kinds of skills and therefore must be practiced separately. And the result tends to sound a bit different as well. More often than not, the live mixes I hear aren't quite as transitionally "tight" as the pre-planned mixes - not to say that this is "bad"...I wouldn't judge the live mix on quite the exact same basis as the pre-planned mix, anyways. While live mixing is obviously paramount if you're ever going to perform publicly, to me he good DJ can excel at both forms.
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

I enjoy pre-planning mixes when Im using unusual music and trying to make a creative mix, seeing what tracks will fit together.

Otherwise I think a demo mix should be a reflection of how you would actually DJ live. If you cant pull it off live dont put it into your mix. Its always good to hear a mix with a few off the wall tracks aswell, makes you standout from the crowd.
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

If I pre-plan a mix it usually doesnt come off as well when I do it more than once/twice. I'll get bored of mixing the track in the same place, and to me it doesnt sound as good as the first time I discovered the nice transition...

Saying that whenever Ive played a party and remember a pair of tracks that work well together it always goes down well (I like to think!)
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

Sometime I have an idea in mind, like a vibe I want to create mostly for myself, like a fucked up road trip from Brazil to Detroit, and i might try to do that with music that comes to mind, like try and create that journey with music but not a set list or anything - so the only planning is how I am feeling - no set planning as far as picking tracks before hand though.

and when i play out I usually try to do something based on the emotion of the people... play off of that... like sometimes I'll pick one individual out in the crowd - maybe someone who looks fucked up and i'll try to make them feel even more fucked up....