What Minimal Techno Means for You? in one sentence.

- open
pSsp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pSsp »

Atheory wrote:[

But, in and amongst some of the comments comparing Buddhism or its equivilant to minimal techno somebody had to take a stand. You are a westerner. Do you think that the prism that you "understand" Buddhism through is any difference than the prism that the man next door "understands" products like the car that makes him feel like he is powerful, or the jacket that makes him feel fashionable and attractive or the choice of flat pack furniture or corporate, unadventureous art work that marks him out as a individual with taste and style?

How you can on one hand talk about pairing techno/life down and simplifying it, but on the other hand clutter and confuse it by aligning it to an archaic and impracticle set of ideas. Whats more paired back, people dancing in a room to a few beats that make them move or a man pontificating over the how this music is not just pleasing sound, but infact the soundtrack to a more enlightened way of exsistence?

In many ways, the biggest extravagance a man can indulge in is self-delusion.
impractical set of ideas? thats quite an odd statement. besides i only share some buddhist ideals. As for cluttering? Sorry if you cant make the connections. Different people get different things from music. Sad i discovered most people experience it on only a strictly 3 dimensional Level. To indulge in self delusion is an oxymoron, you cant knowingly be deluded. Who is to say what is an illusion and what is reality, that shouldnt be up for debate. No need to jump to conclusions.
Whole point of this thread was to be a one sentence non debated non defining inquest into how minimal sat with people. thats all! those who argue or jump in with their cynicism are part of the problem which they seek to destroy.
shh pSsp
blockup

Post by blockup »

pSsp wrote:
Atheory wrote:[

But, in and amongst some of the comments comparing Buddhism or its equivilant to minimal techno somebody had to take a stand. You are a westerner. Do you think that the prism that you "understand" Buddhism through is any difference than the prism that the man next door "understands" products like the car that makes him feel like he is powerful, or the jacket that makes him feel fashionable and attractive or the choice of flat pack furniture or corporate, unadventureous art work that marks him out as a individual with taste and style?

How you can on one hand talk about pairing techno/life down and simplifying it, but on the other hand clutter and confuse it by aligning it to an archaic and impracticle set of ideas. Whats more paired back, people dancing in a room to a few beats that make them move or a man pontificating over the how this music is not just pleasing sound, but infact the soundtrack to a more enlightened way of exsistence?

In many ways, the biggest extravagance a man can indulge in is self-delusion.
impractical set of ideas? thats quite an odd statement. besides i only share some buddhist ideals. As for cluttering? Sorry if you cant make the connections. Different people get different things from music. Sad i discovered most people experience it on only a strictly 3 dimensional Level. To indulge in self delusion is an oxymoron, you cant knowingly be deluded. Who is to say what is an illusion and what is reality, that shouldnt be up for debate. No need to jump to conclusions.
Whole point of this thread was to be a one sentence non debated non defining inquest into how minimal sat with people. thats all! those who argue or jump in with their cynicism are part of the problem which they seek to destroy.

Yeh thats what i'm always thinking when stepping onto the terrace in DC10.
Taylor Norris
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Taylor Norris »

If I had known that my feelings about the music that brings us all together would have been met with such hostility and discontent I would never have posted such information.
blockup wrote: What else is it then?
For me it is more than music. I grew up travelling across the mid-west during my teen years every weekend in the mid to late 90's when raves were going off huge. It was a lifestyle for me. Living for the weekend and getting to see all my "real" friends. Not the people I was forced to hang out with because we went to the same school. I learned most things I know about myself today from these experiences. Now just because it is only music for you does not give me the right to attack you and your opinions.
blockup wrote: But in this case you actually belive you live in some minimal universe and have painted the walls in your flat above a Fish & Chip shop pure white, sleep on a pallet painted white, removed all door handles, eat only a single carrot from the worlds biggest round plate, have a nazi hair
cut, say uber and call stuff MAXIMAL....
Taylor Norris wrote:I try to live a simple life. I dont need a lot of fancy things. I do not covet what others have. I dont overthink the decisions that need to be made. I do not try to force things to happen. I have found that the less complicated you make your life...the happier you will be.
Yes blockup. Thats exactly what I said.... :roll:
Atheory wrote: an archaic and impracticle set of ideas.
This is your opinion which is fine. Im not attacking you because this is what you believe or do not believe.

I would like to know which religion or "set of ideas" isnt archaic and impracticle in today's society.

I will make sure to keep my opinions to myself from here on around mnml.nl and am dissapointed in the response this board has shown to someone's personal thoughts on such a subject. [/end]
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

ok, this really is the last thing i say about this.

PSSP- In many ways, the biggest extravagance a man can indulge in is self-delusion....this is not an oxymoron because, self delusion, self deception, lying to ones self etc, is a common psychological occurance in people. They do it all the time. It is a concious thing. (eg alternative medicine, gambling addictions etc) Self delusion and psychosis is possibly the difference between you living in your white, furnitureless apartment, with the plate of four carrotts, and a glass of water and you living a true minimal lifestyle, in a padded white cell with a 2x4 inch hatch, where equally visitors would be at a premium.

Also, the 3 dimension thing. Please. Look mate, like most people on this board, i know quite alot about music, dj'ed for years, have 1000s of records, produce, did radio, play instruments, understand lots about music theory and rhytym etc. To say that because i dont have to shoehorn my relationship of music into a vauge and questionable theory about how to live my life doesnt necessarily mean that what i get from it is reduced. Maybe when you understand music on that intimate and minute level the magic goes a bit, maybe thats true, but then some different, something to me more beautiful and less transient emerges. Music means so, so much to me. It gets me through the days of working a job i dont like, it makes me dance and smile and have great times with my friends, i am completely content to sit at home and just produce track or mix records etc. But it is still just music to me. Do you understand? Its still just notes and beats. Nothing else needs to get in between that for me to think its special.

Oh and also about the 3 dimension thing?? The 4th dimension is generally thought of as time. A vital ingredient for music and djing, something that is appreciated by many of the people on the board i'd assume, and not exclusive to you and your "spiritual" understanding of music.

And the cynicism thing. Why is it that every moron, with a few half baked ideas has to call people who question their lunatic ideas a cynic? Its you and dishonest politicans and self help gurus do it. Thats the company your keeping with that one mate.

to Taylor Norris

In your point you mention that its only music to me, as if thats somehow a missing of the point. As mentioned above, music means so much to me, but it can still be just music and no more. To use a cheesy example, say my girlfriend. She means everything to me, but she is still just a human, a collection of cells, bones etc. I dont have to turn her into a princess in my mind or convince myself that shes a reincarnation of Cleopatra to think that she is special and unique and beautiful. I dont have to invent some situation to make it seem like she is celestial. I just accept that she is a human with good and bad points like everyone else.

i guess some of the above to Pssp applies to you, some of it doesnt. I am sorry that you feel that your views or feelings have been trampled on. This is what happens in the world though. You have opinions, people disagree. They talk about them, you either still disagree and your opinions are enforced or you take on board some of the things they say, and change your opinion in whatever degrees you deem necessary.

To both of you.

I admit that i went over the top on some of your views, and that is probably unfair.
Its just that I feel that asking questions and challenging viewpoints is a really important part of the human being. Its healthy and productive. If your viewpoints are too brittle to whitstand the questioning then that is unfortunate. People asking questions and saying "no i dont agree with this" is a fundamental right as much as you having an opinion is.

good night.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

the last couple of pages have been really entertaining.

I agree with Atheory. at the end of the day it's just music but that doesn't mean it's not the most important thing in my life.

If i was put in a situation where i had to make a choice between

a) have techno music for the rest of my life and having my fiancee buggered and decapitated with a spoon

or

b) never listening to techno again and getting married to the girl of my dreams.

i would choose "b" but i would be a miserable bastard for the rest of my pathetic goaless existence.

if you took music away i would be..... i'm having difficulty finding the words to finish that sentence. Maybe empty, bored, depressed, unmotivated, aimless, maybe all of them. but at the end of the day it's JUST MUSIC and thats about as minimal as it gets. cut all the bullshit this is what minimal techno means to me in one sentence

It's just music.
pSsp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pSsp »

I cease seeing the point in trying to share my beliefs if the only natural response from people is to put it down to promote their own. Lets call a fork a fork, a spade a spade and minimal whatever we want it to be. Peace x
shh pSsp
blockup

Post by blockup »

Grow up.......