When is it ok to share music?

- open
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

When is it ok to share music?

Post by tone-def »

I recently had my record bag stolen with a lot of my favorite tunes in it. Should i put my morals behind me and get as many as my mates to give me mp3's of the lost tracks or should i spend another £300-£400 on the same records i've already paid for once? I'm a poor student and would rather spend the little money i have on records i've never owned.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

both.. - get the mp3's to inspire you to work hard and regain what was taken from you..

playing rare/one of a kind records will (never) go out of style.. - just my .02

p.s. check on/if you have home owners insurance..

I had a snowbaord stolen from a ski resort when I lived at my mothers house many years ago ...

BUT... she was able to claim it on her home owners insurance..

and I was able to get a new/better snowboard with the help from the insurnace company..
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

If it was me I'd just get the mp3s from my friends. I'm sure any label owner on here if the same happened to them rather then spending however much of replacing it all they'd just get the mp3s given.

Or am I jumping to conclusions?
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I would have to buy them all again, obviously over a long period of time. It's a shame that there are some scumbags out there that feel the need to steal other peoples records.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

ah that sucks man.

morally you're in the clear to use mp3's I'd say. Part of what you pay for when you buy a tune is a personal license to the tune itself and not just the media that it's stored on.

and it's definitely worth trying the home insurance thing. you might even be able to bump up the prices of out of print records and get more than 300-400 back. cos a hard to find record is worth more now than what you paid for it. (can't be 100% here but worth investigating)

good luck.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I didn't really think of home insurance i'll give it a go.

Of course there are some records i'll defiantly buy again like the Perlon releases and now annoyingly hard to find old records i wish i'd never packed for that gig. I'll be keeping my eye on londons used record stores in case they show up.

This happened at possibly the worst time, when i'm unemployed and have a few decent gigs to play.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

oblioblioblio wrote: morally you're in the clear to use mp3's I'd say.
thats what i think. it's not going to benefit the labels in anyway if i spend all my money on records i find on discogs.
Nocturnal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Nocturnal »

am I being naive here..but do all the really big djs buy all their tunes?like srsly? :roll: