No music in this town..

- open
go
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

No music in this town..

Post by go »

Im just wondering if there is anyone ones eles out there like me...

I live in a pretty decent sized town nothing to big nothing to small, we have a couple of clubs and plenty of people that want to party. I do a little dj'ing here and there and have been for a number of years now. Ive played everything from bangin techno to jacking house and all the nice fluffy stuff inbetween. And more recently over the last couple of years techno/minimal. But the thing i find funny is that no matter what i play im never able to keep the people happy. I dont believe its my dj'ing skills or my ability to read a crowd because i have done so quiet sucessfully in other places. And now ive just got the the point where im sick of trying to play what people want and not what i think is good music. It almost sceems asif im a couple steps ahead of everyone. But i know thats not true because when i get on this forum i feel like a newb again. Im not here to have a sook even though im sure it could probley come across that why, im just wondering if anyone eles out there has the same kind of problems as me...
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

You're not from Perth are you?
go
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by go »

nah man, mildura victoria... 6hrs from melb, 4hrs from adelaide.
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

I would suspect you're far from alone in this.

I can obviously really only speak for myself, but being in Columbus, OH I can tell you there isn't much of a scene for the techy minimal madness that I love... I don't try very much, but I doubt I could energize a party crowd around here with stuff that I would play. I'm not sure they would get it.

I might be a bit too negativistic...but this is part of why my music obsession only lives in my basement where I record my mixes, online where I get involved in forums and people (sometimes) listen to them, and at a few points in the year in real life when I get together with old friends from different places at Detroit and other festivals and relive the glory days for a while.

But it's not my fault that most people around me are too small-minded to be able to comprehend these sounds...or anything that doesn't come from a radio.

That may sound elitist, and that's fine with me :lol: 8)
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

Yeah I understand how you both feel too. It's not so bad here (it could be worse) but often it feels pretty hit and miss. Sometimes it seems like you're fighting a losing battle but you've got to keep the hope and give it time.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

omnipresence wrote:hit and miss.
it's even like that in detroit...

timeless / good / positive energy is priceless..
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

don't worry mate

i've got loads of experience like that. in the UK. and when i moved to prague my record bag scared people - other djs even. what did it contain... the best mnml of that time.
djshiva
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djshiva »

miroslav wrote:I would suspect you're far from alone in this.

I can obviously really only speak for myself, but being in Columbus, OH I can tell you there isn't much of a scene for the techy minimal madness that I love... I don't try very much, but I doubt I could energize a party crowd around here with stuff that I would play. I'm not sure they would get it.

I might be a bit too negativistic...but this is part of why my music obsession only lives in my basement where I record my mixes, online where I get involved in forums and people (sometimes) listen to them, and at a few points in the year in real life when I get together with old friends from different places at Detroit and other festivals and relive the glory days for a while.

But it's not my fault that most people around me are too small-minded to be able to comprehend these sounds...or anything that doesn't come from a radio.

That may sound elitist, and that's fine with me :lol: 8)
so sad too, considering the artists that columbus, oh has given to techno. titonton, todd sines, monochrome. the whole ele_mental crew was killin' at one time and then everything died and everyone scattered.

you know i am feeling ya man, being in indianapolis and all... :(