Writers on drugs...

- open
Alex M
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Writers on drugs...

Post by Alex M »

I suppose most of you here are avid readers or at least read a book every now and again. I like most genres except for sci-fi and romance stuff.
However, the "genre" (if it may be called that) or type of book that I like the most is that related to the drug culture. Especially books written while the author was under the influences of drugs or just simply writing about his experiences and thoughts while experimenting with chemicals or naturals as such.
One of my main authors has to be the late Hunter S. Thompson. I've read books like Fear & loathing in las vegas (200% recommended!!), the rum diaries (not as much drug craziness but still a good read) and the great shark hunt (lots of politics in here but some great short stories too, especially the one with the title of the book). I love the way this man put words on paper and the crazy "adventures" he got into when sent to various assignments. Always looking for the "american dream".
Another worth mentioning is Artificial Paradises by Charles Baudelaire. It is a very old book (1860's) in which the author captures his experiences with opium, hash and wine. However I thought it was a bit too old fashioned for my taste.

Anyway, after all this talk my question is if anyone here in this forum is interested in this kind of literature and would care to recommend any book to read.
I remember some time ago talking with someone about this he told me about a book which is a collection of short stories written by a couple of guys squatting a house and taking ether all day. I cant remember the title so If any of you know, it would be great. Sounds like a very interesting/f***ed up read...

Srry for the long post, I hope if I cant get any help that at least I will have recommended some good books to read.
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Dragonsand »

Edgar Poe must have written some stories under the drug influence I guess...

Buy everything you can find from him...his stories are often weird.

But, in the same time, I think I don't teach you nothing here ;)
Monotek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Monotek »

i agree about fear&loathing!
movie without the book is "nothing".

i red many books and can suggest u to read "Blindness" from Jose Saramago, if we are talking about books in general. This book is not about drugs, but its very interesting and its one of my favorites books at all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindness_%28novel%29

i have been collecting books for many years, but then i turned to music!
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

My favourite is Walter Benjamin's "Über Haschisch" (sorry for german title, did not find the english one). Maybe close to the one you mentioned by Baudelaire while not quite so old fashioned (around 1930 I think). Some deep reflections about Hash and Opium use.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

Hunter is a great writer but be aware that its "Gonzo" writing which he blurs the lines between bullshitting and telling the truth to make for a great story. So just keep it in mind when you tell people about what you read. :) There's a new book out called "Gonzo" which is letters from Hunter and his close friends and relatives talking about his life. There is some great material in there. Also, check out "The Dirt," which is a book about the metal band Motley Crue written by the Crue themselves. It's simply amazing. Any page you open to, you'll find a story that will make your jaw drop with some of the craziest sh!t you've ever heard.
Alex M
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Alex M »

Hey thnx for the answers guys. :)

@monotek, I have checked out the book synopsis for Blindness and it sounds quite interesting. I will surely check it out once I'm done with the current book I am reading which by the way I can fully recommend too.
Spares by Michael Marshall Smith, even though I dont like Sci-fi genre this is great!! Very nice story and characters, not the typical UFO/Star Teky kind of thing.

@aut.t.n, Been looking for the book you mention but no luck at the moment.

@Thomas D and Jack Thomas, yes I am aware that some of what he wrote could be slightly exagerated but I believe most of the stuff is very close to reality.
Will check the two books you mention as well, thnx for the tips :wink: .
delayer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Writers on drugs...

Post by delayer »

miniMAL_420 wrote: Another worth mentioning is Artificial Paradises by Charles Baudelaire. It is a very old book (1860's) in which the author captures his experiences with opium, hash and wine. However I thought it was a bit too old fashioned for my taste.
Baudelaire belongs to classical literature and his work is not only about drugs - so he is another category [one of the early poets of modern literature], not a bestseller.

ontopic - I' ve heard of many books which deal with drugs, but nothing comes to mind at the moment, only Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell. + Writings on Psychedelics and the Visionary Experience.

+ Carlos Castaneda - The Teachings of Don Juan

These works are also quite old, but I'm sure you would like it, it is a "base". Try to google about the authors etc.

P.S. dunno if you were interested in novels (fiction) or author's experiences with drugs or just everything. ;)
Last edited by delayer on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delayer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by delayer »

Dragonsand wrote:Edgar Poe must have written some stories under the drug influence I guess...

Buy everything you can find from him...his stories are often weird.
If you liked Poe, you'll surely like E.T.A. Hoffmann. I could write much more right now, but it's not about drugs. Just google and discover Hoffmann. [Poe was quite under his influence].

I don't know if Poe used drugs as inspiration, but it's a well-known fact that he was a hardcore alcoholic. :D