Traktor Dj's

- open
Jesse_mtl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Traktor Dj's

Post by Jesse_mtl »

I have an important question for all you guys. I started dj'ing about 3 years ago using traktor and some mp3s. After about a year of experimenting with that i starting using technics and mixer etc. My mp3 collection is far more impressive than my vynil collection for sure.

So here's my question. If its easier to mix with traktor ( beats can be synched easily ), therefore you have more time to do EQ tricks, smoother transitions, faster song switching, hard drive collection of sorted mp3's -- why do i feel a laptop dj would never be accepted as a " real dj " ?

i havent stopped buying vynil, just because i dont have a laptop yet. but im saving to get one, for live performances etc.

anyone else have some opinions on this subject ?
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

. really, if you have been playing for 3 years you shouldn't need to ask this question.. just comes down to how you define a dj, and what you get out of the whole experience... answer it for yourself
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

This topic comes up pretty often on the Traktor boards. I use Final Scratch with Traktor, so I still physically do the beatmatching, etc, but I can definitely see the appeal to a straight Traktor setup.

I could never do it though, because I need to be an active part of the mixing process, and just pressing the 'Sync' button doesn't do that for me. If I did that, I'd get bored, and I'm sure the set would get boring too.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

djs are generally pretty boring, regardless if they are beatmatching.

laptop guys chopping up tracks and djing other peoples sounds in ableton is a bit mroe interesting.

i dunno, when im on the dancefloor, im listening to the speakers and looking at teh girls.
freeeeeee
braz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by braz »

Der geile Ami wrote:djs are generally pretty boring, regardless if they are beatmatching.

laptop guys chopping up tracks and djing other peoples sounds in ableton is a bit mroe interesting.

i dunno, when im on the dancefloor, im listening to the speakers and looking at teh girls.
i totally agree with your last point.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Der geile Ami wrote:djs are generally pretty boring, regardless if they are beatmatching.

haha..

There's a lot of people who say that laptop performances are boring. It's a matter of tastes I guess. No matter what, music is the priority to me.

Jesse, just do what you think is right. Play your music and have fun. If people like it, that what's matter. :)
braz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by braz »

pheek wrote:

haha..

There's a lot of people who say that laptop performances are boring. It's a matter of tastes I guess. No matter what, music is the priority to me.

Jesse, just do what you think is right. Play your music and have fun. If people like it, that what's matter. :)
right on! just push play and pretend to be busy behind teh decks! :roll:
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

braz wrote:
pheek wrote:

haha..

right on! just push play and pretend to be busy behind teh decks! :roll:
I think you didn't get it, Braz.