Matthew Dear track in new Hummer commercial

- open
JCH
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JCH »

What do MD signing a track to a commercial have to do with Minus "green" policies?
Adam Prince
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Adam Prince »

Well, to a certain extent, as a M_nus artist, his choices (if only peripherally) reflect upon the values of the label. It is a rather obtuse connection, I know, but I was merely pointing it out for the sake of this discussion.

Also, in response to JackNine: yelling rarely produces results. Would turning down an endorsement like this, through action, be taking a stand against an irresponsible company who obviously markets to those type of people?
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

With regard to the Hummer being unethical because it is excessive in its resource consumption...let's be real here:

While I personally agree that the H3 is excessive (don't own one & don't plan to), it quickly becomes a slippery slope to dictate to a person whether they can buy it when most if not all of us are not "walking the walk"; we consume a lot of energy and resources one way or another. It's all good and well that you recycle (as we all should), but just think about everything you do on a daily basis that consumes electricity; where do you think that stuff comes from? There's no free lunch here. And that's not even grazing other topics such as how you transport yourself from place to place, what products you buy, etc.

I may not have decided to buy the H3, but I'm sitting here consuming energy through this computer...and fyi all our IT infrastructure has been estimated at creating about 2% of our global CO2 emmissions; which is supposedly about the same as the entire airline industry. And this is excluding personal computers & cell phone-like devices.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

forget the tech aspect of the actual car.. did you like the commerical.. yes / no

I did.. I thought it was neat.. wouldn't mind watching it again.. (perhaps) the music made it comfortable to watch..

either way it was effective / easy on the eyes & ears...

this is (great) news for everyone who loves good music.

this commerical in and of itself will create a marketing for (more) commercials in the future.

congrats to mr. dear and the future of supply/demand for producers...

:) - d e t r o i t
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

Adam Prince wrote:Also, in response to JackNine: yelling rarely produces results. Would turning down an endorsement like this, through action, be taking a stand against an irresponsible company who obviously markets to those type of people?
If he turned them down, Hummer would get someone's else's music for the commercial and not even blink an eye. And MD would be out of a nice chunk of cash.

Are you suggesting they'd actually be insulted and consider re-doing their entire corporate policy and car lineup because Matthew Dear said he didn't want them to use his music?

lol.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

If i was in MD's place i would have done the same thing.
TMCM
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TMCM »

as if matthew was the first one making music for a car commercial. yeah, it's a hummer, so what? i'm sure they sell not as much as ford/toyota/volkswagen do with their standart vehicels.
coffee makes you happy... except when it messes you up.
Twitter Last.FM Facebook
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

Aphex Twin makes a lot of music for commercials and he's regarded as a legend.