Artists moving to Germany to better their art

- open
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

well, my question was not made to be taken personal. i just made it to put an example.
thanks for sharing with us your aproach to your work, but i guess that can be another topic like... where do you get the inspiration from? or, is your background is an influence in your art?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Berlin sounds like a great city to move to and has had a long history with techno and electronic music in general. However i don't think it's a great thing to group too much artistic talent and drive in one spot. One of the problem with a mass migration to one area of artists could be that they all end up sounding the same because they won't be forced to look outside of their own social circle or genre of electronic music. Also what seems to happen in artistic communities sometimes is that there are alot of people that tend to spend time blowing smoke up eachother asses and patting eachother on the back instead of concentrating on moving forward. In Detroit the Detroit Techno artist community is still very small and has never been that large. There has also never been that large of a party scene here to exploit the music which means that alot of us still have next to nothing for money so it sounds extra inviting to go to europe. If i ever leave here i think it will be far more related to the extremely criminal and deplorable stance of this country towards war and worldwide conquest while they claim it's for the good of the people. Meanwhile a kid growing up in the inner city has no option but to go and fight that war while their family scapes to survive or live a life of raping and pillaging their own nieghborhood and community to survive.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

There is a finite number of party crowd, and so a finite number of parties and thus gig opportunities. If everyone tried to do the same thing, there would be really high competition for gigs. If there was really high competition, id think the smarter (more creative?) artists would try doing stuff that separates them from the herd.

feel like ive typed this before

typing this in the flat of a friend who moved form canada to progress his successful italo-electro-techno career. berlin isnt jsut for minimal, keep from the hype.
freeeeeee
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Der geile Ami wrote:berlin isnt jsut for minimal.
exactly...
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Remember when Chicago and Detroit were the epi-center of house and techno music? Eventually the market became over saturated and hit a brick wall....thats when we found new markets in europe and everyone and their mother started moving over there for a piece of the action. And now most house is crap, and techno is now "scrantz"
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

patrick bateman wrote:
minimal house wrote: And IMO, not much out of Germany & european hotspots is really doing anything for me, except for a few artists/labels for that very reason.
Really?
Absolutely.

And its not just european minimal, its minimal in general. the more minimal that is being produced, the harder it is to deviate from the norm. I guess what im saying is that the more minimal i listen to, the more tired i get of it. Thats for any genre of music out there. Its kind of like the law of diminishing returns.

Minimal was very interesting before and at the turn of the century. It was still a new concept and the laptop explosion made for some very interesting music...but now alot is starting to sound the same. Just doesnt do as much for me now as it did then.
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

minimal house wrote:Absolutely.

And its not just european minimal, its minimal in general. the more minimal that is being produced, the harder it is to deviate from the norm. I guess what im saying is that the more minimal i listen to, the more tired i get of it. Thats for any genre of music out there. Its kind of like the law of diminishing returns.

Minimal was very interesting before and at the turn of the century. It was still a new concept and the laptop explosion made for some very interesting music...but now alot is starting to sound the same. Just doesnt do as much for me now as it did then.
Saaame here. I am glad I taught myself to just like good music, stay open, and have an insatiable curiosity for anything new and exciting. So, wherever I am, there is always music. Some of it is good, and it's the good music which I like to focus on and take in. Exploration is a wonderful thing. And exploration can be done absolutely anywhere.
Jebba
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Jebba »

hey, in berlin you'll find a big heap of producers/dj's...
but a lot of great stuff comes from that country above the USA -> Canada...

why do all people think all the great stuff is bounded by countrylines ???

personally i can't hear the big difference when i listen to something new for myself... (aight, somethings have that real german, french or other sauce over them, but most of the times that;s really electro like and not minimal...)

greet'z
Image<Typ een persoonlijk bericht>