influence and history of techno music

- open
yannick^
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

influence and history of techno music

Post by yannick^ »

I hope this forum also accepts other genres with a warm heart. Because.... I've been listening to techno music a while now (a year or so), and I was wondering whether or not someone could enlighten me on the subject. I mostly followed currently popular artists. However, I would like to explore some significant artists, who influenced the genre, too. Of course, I already know some legendary artists such as: Aphex Twin, Jeff Mills,... but I can't fill in the missing gaps myself. Would someone be so kind to give me a brief outline of the history of techno music. I would also like to have a picture in mind 'how they influenced the genre' (i.e. album titles, songs).

Furthermore I have to admit that my ears are not quiet adapted yet. I have (sometimes) trouble detecting differences between subgenres. What do I need to pay attention at? If someone is really in favour of teaching me something, you may tell me a song title and tell me which typical pattern of sound I need to hear.

Of course, all of this may be found irrelevant, since in the end, I just want to enjoy the music. But to put labels on different kinds of music, makes it a lot easier to search for new music you like

Regards

(p.s. the wikipedia page was unsatisfactory, a personal point of view is always better)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

dude, just listen to the music and enjoy. why bother with anything more than that?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
yannick^
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yannick^ »

I do enjoy the music, and I really don't care what track belongs to which genre at a party.

But I don't see what's wrong with gaining a bit of technical knowledge?
zirk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zirk »

JCH
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JCH »

Kids in Detroit began to listen various futureristic music from Prince to Kano.... Began to make music......Went over to Europe.....Techno blew up.....New artists pushed it further....

Every artist have their own view on how to techno grew....Start with Jeff Mills at Discogs, get names, google, expand your knowledge as you go along....

No cat on this board can tell the absolute truth about the origins of techno.........find your own truth.......
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

JCH wrote:find your own truth.......
nicely put. this is part of the magic of techno...nobody 'telling' you somethin can ever come close to when you 'feel' it. this is when words have no place.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

techno started itself
signatures suck
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

mlexicon wrote:techno started itself
the self started techno.

edit: or
the start itself started the techno.
Last edited by New Guy on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.