non minimal needs

- open
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

non minimal needs

Post by dsat »

just wondering if any of you guys also have non minimal musical needs to attend to.... I'm sure most of you do not exclusively listen to minimal stuff...

I'll do the kick-off

I've been a big experimental fan, buying stuff like funckarma, autechre, d'arcangelo, metamatics, brothomstates, bola ... labels like rephlex, skam, warp, toytronic, vertical form, city centre offices, expanding recs, dub...

I'm also a child of the 80's, so I had my breakin' electro days on Jonzun Crew, Grandmaster Flash, Hashim... and the nuskool electro, especially the dutch sound like i-f, dexter, novamen, pamétex... and furthermore scape one, some adult stuff, ultradyne, dynarec and of course Drexciya

techno-wise, been deep into the whole detroit sound, model 500, carl craig, dan curtin, kooky scientist, anthony shakir, shiver, duplex...
and more bleep experimental techno like neil landstrumm, cristian vogel, subhead...

some more new wave stuff... neon jugement, anne clark...
and obviously the whole belgium new beat thing
and I need put on an acid record now and then to satisfy my acidic needs

and rock-wise (yes, guitars...) the whole grunge thing early nirvana, alice in chains, soundgarden... metal with suicidal tendencies, faith no more, anthrax... funk metal band infectious grooves
and I was a big fan of the Pixies, still love that soft punk...
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

more or less electronic music only....
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

I'm big into triphop / jazzy downtempo... working with a small label based in brooklyn: http://www.bastardjazz.com

and I'm spinning it too, here is a DJ set of mine, recorded in washington, dc at a party in 2003:
cyhl, live at lemur lounge
Conquest Inc.
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Conquest Inc. »

I'm also into the experimental, my dj gigs (however few a far between they are ;) ) are split pretty evenly between minimal and the weirder experimental stuff.

I recently started a monthly with a couple of my friends, where we play everything but typical electronic music. It's actually quite a bit of fun! I try to keep it dancier with dance punk, grime, and the dirty south rap jams.

other than that I am always open to new music and i'm always looking for something that catches my ear :)
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

hip hop, soul and old latin music are MUST HAVE for me.

names that come to my mind right now (in no particular order): erykah badu, barry white, bob marley, coldplay, gustavo cerati, john mayer, buena vista club social, snopp dogg, depeche mode, jay z, omara portuondo, fela kuti, dr.dre, bjork, !!! (chk chk chk), george michael, lenny kravitz, fugees-lauryn hill.... and many more that now don't come to my head.
Harm Rhebergen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harm Rhebergen »

I just love a lot of music!

My biggest passion is minimal but I think that my second biggest passion is Dream Theater, an American progressive symphonic metal band (www.dreamtheater.net). I have like 11 albums, 2 dvd's and I've been to their show in Holland last year and when they'll come over next year I'll be there for sure... Besides that, I love music from Sarah McLachlan (also been to her show a few months ago)...

You can find all kinds of music in my cd collection: Andrea Bocelli, Global Underground (almost all series, including Nu Breed), a lot of old hiphop, r&b, Tool, Anethema, Phil Collins, Sade, Heather Nova, etc...
*I support southern fruits*
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

"normal" music usually bores me...but my second musical love(to mnml of
course) is dancehall reggae.
Renton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Renton »

I'm into various styles of music, so many interesting things have been done in the past and are still coming out these days.

Minimal and electro is music I listen to practically every day, but albums from artists like Beck, the Breeders, Depeche Mode, Kasabian or some oldschool hip- hop (Gang Starr, Public Enemy) have been on my stereo often lately as well. Also very much like to visit concerts every now and then, Beastie Boys was defenitely last year's best! Now really looking forward to Beck's concert in a'dam early June.

As long as the music's made from the heart it is worth checking out! just try to avoid the commercial crap...
"I won't be in today, boss...I'm feeling a little mnml."