The house that Dandy Jack built ~ RA Interview

- open
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

The house that Dandy Jack built ~ RA Interview

Post by gillsans »

The house that Dandy Jack built

Techno’s most enthusiastic collaborator talks to RA about Ibiza, NarodNiki and the explosion of minimal.

Dandy Jack, aka Martin Schopf, knows how to pick a partner. He’s made records with Ricardo Villalobos, Luciano, Tobias Freund, Uwe Schmidt and most recently he’s been stepping out as Junction SM, a unique DJ/live set collaboration with his partner Sonja Moonear. Just in case anyone feels left out, he’s also a paid up member of NarodNiki, the live techno improvisation outfit that counts among its rotating cast Villalobos, Luciano, Richie Hawtin, Dan Bell, Monolake, Carl Craig and Maurizio. “When you are alone, then it's just about you,” explains Dandy. “And that's sad.”

Even when Dandy Jack is making records by himself, he like to invent an imaginary friend: regular Dandy Jack collaborators The Latin Elvis, The Latin Lava and The Plastic Woman don’t actually exist, except in Schopf’s imagination. “I like to create projects as an alter ego, to create a background personality and story.”

Like Luciano and Villalobos, Dandy Jack is a Chilean, part of the first wave of émigrés that escaped the Pinochet dictatorship in the seventies to settle down in Europe. But he maintains a link to his home country, regularly traveling back to play and finding space in his music of Latin sounds and rhythms.

RA caught up with Dandy Jack after a rare solo gig in London. The interview went something like this:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature-read.aspx?id=812
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
df
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by df »

lovely interview
keto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by keto »

lovvely, indeed! didn't know about that " fight " about who's the boss of NarodNiki

Ricardo saying [German accent] “Wow, these guys are amazing. This music – you must write him an email!” :D :D
harold_f
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harold_f »

Good words by Martin. fck RA!
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

“Hey man, stop playing that music right now. Because you’ll destroy the charisma of this place.” Yeah! Then I grabbed the needles. Two thousand people were like nooo! And I was thinking “Oh my god. Now they’re going to kill me.”
hahah! 8)
Aleksi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Aleksi »

Nice interview.. Sad that they were fighting over niki. :roll:
mcs
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mcs »

Aleksi wrote:Nice interview.. Sad that they were fighting over niki. :roll:

yeah, liked it too. and the fight over narodniki - bad to hear that, nevertheless, i would like to hear and see them performing @ sonar or somewhere else.
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

AMAZING INTERVIEW.. i'm definately on Dandy's side.. fck all this money popularity bullshit.. Great read.. love what the man stands for.. Not only will i have to tell my kids Santa doesn't exist, but now the latin lava and latin elvis are on the list.. boy will they be dissapointed.. :lol: