protecting your hearing!

- open
choenyi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by choenyi »

jessejames wrote:What does the Ginko Biloba do?
Temporary raise in circulation to brain. Similar to Gotu Kola, etc.

No relation to hearing :)
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

any natural medicine that says it protects your hearing is just plain bullshit.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

I read somewhere that it's not the low frequencies that damage your ears but the high freqs. Anyone know if this is correct? Would be good news for bass addicts 8)
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
choenyi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by choenyi »

Red Kite wrote:it's not the low frequencies that damage your ears but the high freqs.
That is absolutely correct.
Shallow bit rates are also very dangerous, even at moderate volumes.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

So why is it always the bass that makes the ears hurt when you are on a floor with too big volume? Feels like the bass makes much more pressure on the ears somehow...

But good to know anyway. I just hate it when they turn the high sounds too loud on some soundsystems.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
choenyi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by choenyi »

Red Kite wrote:So why is it always the bass that makes the ears hurt when you are on a floor with too big volume? Feels like the bass makes much more pressure on the ears somehow...

But good to know anyway. I just hate it when they turn the high sounds too loud on some soundsystems.
There are tiny "hairs" (cilia) along the ear canal. The farther in, the higher the pitch to which they correspond. Although the waveform of bass tones is too slow to damage these, you will still feel compression from the physical amplitude. It can, indeed, cause pain, even to the entire body, which can, in itself, be an interesting experience (in extreme situations, it can damage organs--during a CCCC set, I actually worried about this, as my entire body was splitting with sharp pain :) ). Especially, it hurts and is potentially damaging to stand within the first cycle--which is why I hate front-loading subs. But, in general, bass will not cause hearing loss.
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

choenyi wrote:
Red Kite wrote:So why is it always the bass that makes the ears hurt when you are on a floor with too big volume? Feels like the bass makes much more pressure on the ears somehow...

There are tiny "hairs" (cilia) along the ear canal. The farther in, the higher the pitch to which they correspond. Although the waveform of bass tones is too slow to damage these, you will still feel compression from the physical amplitude. It can, indeed, cause pain, even to the entire body, which can, in itself, be an interesting experience (in extreme situations, it can damage organs--during a CCCC set, I actually worried about this, as my entire body was splitting with sharp pain :) ). Especially, it hurts and is potentially damaging to stand within the first cycle--which is why I hate front-loading subs. But, in general, bass will not cause hearing loss.
Also low freq can damage your ears!!! Every sound can damage your hearing! It is just a matter of how long you are in a room and how hard the system stands. Only problem is, that when your high freq gets damaged you will notice that quiker then low, and you to hear high freq to understand a lot of sounds.....
You have a good explanation! But it is just not true that low freq can't damage your hearing.
choenyi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by choenyi »

BobStock wrote:
choenyi wrote:

Also low freq can damage your ears!!! Every sound can damage your hearing! It is just a matter of how long you are in a room and how hard the system stands. Only problem is, that when your high freq gets damaged you will notice that quiker then low, and you to hear high freq to understand a lot of sounds.....
You have a good explanation! But it is just not true that low freq can't damage your hearing.
Could be!!! I learned it this way in school, but I'm certainly no expert.