The Sigh of an Injured Scene

- open
seth
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by seth »

^ exactly

i think if your doing this it shoudl be for the love. i can atest that there are few things that make me think or feel the way this music dose. its just so..... blah.

well mr. somfay all i can say is dont get discouraged just keep doing what your doing. your good at it! keep the day job if you have to. because, you gotta have the hobbies. if you didnt have a hobbie you wouldnt have a life. you would be overly fanicated with a) your spouse B) job C) death D) all of the above.
if thing don't progress, will the future truly come
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

seth wrote:^ exactly

i think if your doing this it shoudl be for the love. i can atest that there are few things that make me think or feel the way this music dose. its just so..... blah.

well mr. somfay all i can say is dont get discouraged just keep doing what your doing. your good at it! keep the day job if you have to. because, you gotta have the hobbies. if you didnt have a hobbie you wouldnt have a life. you would be overly fanicated with a) your spouse B) job C) death D) all of the above.
Agreed.

For me, it's all about the love of music and being an artist. The money is just a little added bonus ;) As for hobbies...mine would have to be writing and sewing...making clothes and whatnot. But I intend to take this music thing to the full extent and make it a career. I am fairly confident in myself this way, but I'm not going to put all my eggs into one basket. I also have other things to concentrate on such as visual art. Painting mainly.

But yeah, I agree. If I didn't do things I loved, I would feel empty, and that wouldn't be living. But music is far more than a hobby to me ;) If I have to struggle my way through it, I will, because I have a deep love for it. And that love keeps me going :)

I'm sure there are a lot of people who do it just for the love of it. I can say I devote most of my time to this stuff because I have a love for it. But there is an underlying business aspect to it. Capitalism is a fact of life now. Utopian society is impossible right now. Of course that's not saying I'm greedy. I'm really not. I don't ask for a lot and usually just take what I am offered money wise. Unless I have a gut feeling that someone is trying to rip me off deliberately, then I might raise a brow, but usually I just take what it offered. The love is more important to me.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

as much as i live any music that is done with the labour of love i have to admit that the audience in my town is pretty narrowed.
the obvious reaction was when ganik and little_g played this saturday here and some ppl thought ganik is playing goa. :shock:
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: The Sigh of an Injured Scene

Post by minimal house »

Jesse Somfay wrote:When the club and electronic dance music scene began, everything was musical. 808 State, Depeche Mode, Underworld, you name it...It's all been musical. Even with acid house, there were song-like structures. Tracks ended in slightly different place than that from which they began. It seems over the years that these kind of structures have been forgotten. People can tend to be lazy now. With minimal for example. It blew up quickly during the laptop movement. From deep house music came something new and exciting. It was as if it came with a promise for a future of new and exciting music. Instead it grew too quickly with too many imitators and now there are only a few artists making groundbreaking stuff. Where did the energetic elixer go? Where did creativity go? It was lost and left behind. In my opinion, complete imitation is not the way to go if we want to progress in this industry.
I think the laptop revolution led to the over saturated market that were seeing today. Why should one spend thousands of dollars putting together a studio of synths, samplers and drum machines..when they can get something more efficient on a laptop? Dont get me wrong, its a great tool, but my belief with the whole laptop revolution is doing more damage than people want to admit.

Final scratch-

is just killing the record industry. Theres certainly good things that have come from it but again, i feel that the negatives outweigh the positive. We need to support vinyl before its a thing of the past.

Net labels-

another touchy subject. I myself have guilty fingers. I think they are an excellent way of promoting dance music, but they're putting record labels out of business...again i think the bad outweighs the good.

With the whole dj boom from 1997-present, why has the industry suffered?
One would think, that with the more people djing, that there would be a greater demand for the music..but its like were seeing the opposite effect...classic record labels are going bankrupt every day.

Now to get back to what Jesse was saying..what happened to the energetic elixer and creativity? Ive been trying more and more to pay no attention to current clickhouse/microhouse/minimal artists/labels because i am afraid that if i listen to their music, it might somehow rub off on me.

When you talk about 808 State, Underworld etc..keep in mind there was no internet like we have today. Email wasnt fully developed. Record labels didnt have websites. If you wanted to submit music to a label..you send your casette or DAT tape to the label and hope for a return letter in the mail.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

And i definately think people need to open up more. Less analyzing, more shutting the f#ck up and dancing.
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: The Sigh of an Injured Scene

Post by Jesse Somfay »

minimal house wrote: I think the laptop revolution led to the over saturated market that were seeing today. Why should one spend thousands of dollars putting together a studio of synths, samplers and drum machines..when they can get something more efficient on a laptop? Dont get me wrong, its a great tool, but my belief with the whole laptop revolution is doing more damage than people want to admit.
I agree. It is doing some damage. I am guilty when it comes to software production, but I use classical knowledge of rhythm, melody, etc. I put every ounce of energy into making it sound professional and original. I use my Fender Squier Telecustom guitar a lot in my production now. I'm creating my own new sound with software and hardware. However, like I said in an earlier post somewhere on this forum, it's not what you use, it's how you use it.
minimal house wrote: Final scratch-

is just killing the record industry. Theres certainly good things that have come from it but again, i feel that the negatives outweigh the positive. We need to support vinyl before its a thing of the past.
I also feel somewhat strongly about this. I don't use final scratch right now, mainly because of financial reasons, but also because I prefer vinyl. I like to play all the different records I have bought over the years. It gives me the feeling of 'having' something when I'm playing. Forgive me if it sounds a little wild, but it's like I grow to love a record, I bond with it. It can be held, it is my copy of someone elses beautiful work. And they just sound so deliciously warm. Mmm!
minimal house wrote: Net labels-

another touchy subject. I myself have guilty fingers. I think they are an excellent way of promoting dance music, but they're putting record labels out of business...again i think the bad outweighs the good.
I agree. It's great for promotion, but to some degree, it is definitely aiding in the fall of physical labels. And I too have guilty fingers, heh. I guess it does help me with my growth as an artist though. For instance, my Archipel release was a great turning point in my production style. I was learning a whole lot. At the same time I started to make my LP for Traum. So I got some great knowledge from making that release. Just because I was free to experiment and learn new ways of making sounds work together.
minimal house wrote: Now to get back to what Jesse was saying..what happened to the energetic elixer and creativity? Ive been trying more and more to pay no attention to current clickhouse/microhouse/minimal artists/labels because i am afraid that if i listen to their music, it might somehow rub off on me.

That is a good tactic to being totally original. I can't say I have followed the same path. I must admit certain styles and things have rubbed off on to me, but I try my best to make it into my own original sound. Hearing other records coming out now is pretty inevitable. So I guess my way of avoiding certain sounds is to only listen to the ones I think are progressive and might lead to new things.
minimal house wrote: When you talk about 808 State, Underworld etc..keep in mind there was no internet like we have today. Email wasnt fully developed. Record labels didnt have websites. If you wanted to submit music to a label..you send your casette or DAT tape to the label and hope for a return letter in the mail.
Now this is an excellent point. I didn't actually think of that to be honest. But yeah, artists would definitely put more love into their work if they had to send things on casette or DAT because they take more time to record. Very good point indeed.
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

minimal house wrote:And i definately think people need to open up more. Less analyzing, more shutting the f#ck up and dancing.
Rock on! :D
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

plaster wrote:as much as i live any music that is done with the labour of love i have to admit that the audience in my town is pretty narrowed.
the obvious reaction was when ganik and little_g played this saturday here and some ppl thought ganik is playing goa. :shock:
I know what you mean. It's like that here as well. If I say I play techno or minimal, people will automatically think it's something like ATB. Of course I can't even define what I play. I play a whoooole range of stuff. Whatever I feel is good music basically. I think if more people were to open up and just play whatever they loved, all categorization aside, the scene would be healthier.