Vinyl sales for labels

- open
Nic Synaes
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nic Synaes »

Couple of things this raises to me:
Firstly - what is the average download sales of releases these days... eg:
Has Seeing Through Shadows sold more MP3 than vinyl?

If not (and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it has) - then it won't be long before something does... I have now almost totally switched as it is sooo much easier to get smaller releases, and even massive tunes (eg I couldn't seem to find Serenetti for ages after first hearing - but got it off DJ Download within days)

Also, on your original point Subtropical, why not just phone and ask the label's PR team, tell 'em you're from a dance website (true), writing a short piece on them (sorta true), would like a ballpark figure of their last big release. They should give you an idea... esp if they think they'll get coverage. If youu get round to doing this - for my interest, could you ask about MP3 and post their response?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Nic Synaes wrote:Couple of things this raises to me:

If not (and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it has) - then it won't be long before something does... I have now almost totally switched as it is sooo much easier to get smaller releases, and even massive tunes (eg I couldn't seem to find Serenetti for ages after first hearing - but got it off DJ Download within days)
For TTT, mp3 sales is just an extra nice income, but far from even beeing close to the vinyl sales, but I could imagine this being different from the big labels like Poker, Minus, Get Physical and so on.
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

patrick bateman wrote: For TTT, mp3 sales is just an extra nice income, but far from even beeing close to the vinyl sales.
same for foundsound...
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

patrick bateman wrote:
Nic Synaes wrote:Couple of things this raises to me:

For TTT, mp3 sales is just an extra nice income, but far from even beeing close to the vinyl sales, but I could imagine this being different from the big labels like Poker, Minus, Get Physical and so on.
The digital market is in it's infancy(actually it's almost pre-natal)...don't take these numbers to the bank just yet :wink:
Nic Synaes
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nic Synaes »

I'd still be interested in what a big record sells on beatport...
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Nic Synaes wrote:I'd still be interested in what a big record sells on beatport...
I guess you mean a big track, right?
Nic Synaes
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nic Synaes »

er, yeah
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

people are afraid of digital for some reason. even people I know and respect for being forward-thinking individuals with a smart brain are hesitant and want to buy the real record. Part of that is the fun factor of owning something physical. Although I think it should be different, the fact is that digital sales come nowhere near the vinyl.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "