New to the world of mnml, please could someone give a tour?

don't be shy. introduce yourself!
infinityboy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

New to the world of mnml, please could someone give a tour?

Post by infinityboy »

Hello everyone!

Infinityboy signing in from the UK here.

I love this genre, it's a relatively new discovery to me. I believe the first track I heard that made me go 'wtf' was Mike Monday - Flashlight. Right now my absolute favourite artist is Stephan Bodzin, and I'd like to hear more like it. My other discoveries have been Dubfire, Dusty Kid, Oliver Schories, Marek Hemmann, Claude Von Stroke, and a few of James Holden's.

The thing is, I'm not all that sure where to look. Right now my only tools for finding new music are youtube and last.fm but youtube seems to be running out of stuff I like, and last.fm was never really that good. I've been a lurker here for a little while and I've seen some links to soundcloud here which I plan on trying out. Anybody know what other sources I have yet to tap? How about popular podcasts with similar stuff to my selection so far?

Also, I haven't started a collection up yet, as I've never so much as held a vinyl, so I could do with some advice here too. For example I saw a few Valentine vinyls on discogs.com, a few in near mint condition, and a few in mint. What do they mean by mint - still sealed, never opened? And how would I gauge what quality near-mint is? These are located in france and germany so I can imagine shipping being fairly expensive - is this my only option?

Looking forward to learning more and taking part in this fine forum :)

Cheers!
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: New to the world of mnml, please could someone give a to

Post by deccard »

techno made me do it
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: New to the world of mnml, please could someone give a to

Post by Themis »

your best bet to explore music is soundcloud, you can follow people and djs there, find people with similar taste.