vinly only mixes topic discussion

we're listening.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

we're arguing over the validity of a vinyl only mix thread

lol

good music is good music...but vinyl only mixes still remain separate issues from livesets or dj sets on cdjs. i play both digital and vinyl and can understand the desire to hear vinyl only mixes.

Resident Advisor is a poorly run message board. they clearly have no desire in cleaning up the spam trash that litters every subforum, and sifting through mixes that weren't tacked up by RA themselves can become a bother.
- matt
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

john clees wrote:
this is an outlet for vinyl only mixes. the end. I'm not asking for anyone's view points. it's about the music. that's just my point...

love you man, but this was too funny not to quote. LOL @ the massive contridiction.

THIS IS ONLY ABOUT MUSIC................but it has to be vinyl only. hahaha

trc wrote:
john clees wrote:you ARE ridiculous ..:!: :!: :!:

respecting art is "serious bullshit" that right thurrrr is one of the funnest things I've read on internet this year... congrats !!!
you say all you're doing is "respecting art" yet all this suggests is that you value the format more than the art itself
nail destroyed the head on this one.

Everyone needs to relax and just laugh at this. Who cares if someone wants to add a vinyl only section for mixes, i bet 99% of the mixes will huff dong anyways, just like 99% of the digital ones do.
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

THIS IS ONLY ABOUT MUSIC................but it has to be vinyl only. hahaha
well, vinyl is more exclusive , but it doesnt mean it better...
i think vinyl economy will survive mp3 economy , because the situation is so dire, that producers kinda suicide themselves with mp3...
sooner or later , a lot of folks will come back to vinyl , or just stop producing , cause it makes less and less sens to release digital material , as there is so many production and less actual buyers.
i'd like to see a new vinyl format maybe smaller discs ( like old dub plates ), with smaller turntables , so you can carry them more easly.
the all purpose of vinyl economy was rare stuffes , and sounds that could be find only in peculiar shops ( with the online shops though...)
Anyway , i think the edm scene is going worst each day , not because of the quality of the productions , but the non existant economy and trust me , digital shops are selling less tracks these days...
i wonder what it will be like in 10 years... will edm still exist ?
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

Why not have a vinyl-only mix section?

I always found it a different prospect to do a vinyl mix than it is to line up a load of tracks on a computer.

What if i don't want to listen to a load of tracks algorithmed together?

What if i want to listen to some sets where someone pressed record and just went for it, where the mixes weren't perfect or whatever?

Its like people want to delete vinyl from history or something. Vinyl is important to people on a number of levels. Its stands for something for people. If you don't understand that, think about it.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Atheory wrote:

Its like people want to delete vinyl from history or something. Vinyl is important to people on a number of levels. Its stands for something for people. If you don't understand that, think about it.

No one wants to delete vinyl from history, that is absurd. I think everyone here loves vinyl, I think most people are sick of the vinyl warriors thinking that good music is only released on vinyl, that vinyl serves as some sort of quality control, and that djing with only vinyl is somehow better than not. If you are not grasping this, try harder.

I <3 Vinyl, will always support it. It stands for something to me as well, but it doesn't stand for much more than a tangible high fidelity recording of music I enjoy.

I am curious what it stands for to you?
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

It stands for loads of things for me.

-Record shops
-Art work
-Labels who could keep their heads above the water financially
-Djs who could mix
-Better sound
-Records that are less disposable
-Its comforting to think that if a label puts out a sh!t record, they'll could be left with 995 pieces in their garage as a symbol of their bad decision making

Tbh, i don't think i've seen a digital dj this year, i don't come across them or really know anyone who digital djs, i understand all the positives about it and its good in a lot of ways, but i think its important to keep vinyl alive and remember that it is distinct from djing off a laptop. even just the fact that theres millions and millions of vinyls out there, unplayed and waiting to be snapped up by someone and given a good home. theres something more than fetishisation of a medium to that.

for every vinyl warrior, theres 20 digital djs with inferiority complexs. both of them are boring. but people shouldn't limit what way i or others can access mixes on this site because they are insecure about the format they "dj" in.

anyway, this fucking debate again, where people talk about their vested interests but pretend its an objective argument about the format.
mando
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mando »

im tired of endless discussions about vinyl vs. digital

i was playing vinyls over 22 years, i have over 10.000 vinyls in my archive and i was changing to digital in 2008. so, am i a bad guy? ^^

the only source is good music!

partypeople dont ask you in the club, because they want to party and rock. and if a dj plays shitty music, he is not a better dj with vinyls, that makes this situation not better. ;)

the only thing is, the people want good music, no matter of what kind of source.