vinly only mixes topic discussion

we're listening.
mando
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mando »

look at james holden, i was watching him, playing his music from different sources, from cds to mobil phone ^^ and he was rocking the crowd everytime.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

Nothing about the thread is saying "all other forms of dj'ing are inferior to vinyl" jesus christ...let's stop treating this as another contest.

I think a set of all vinyl in 2010 reflects on the dj as a selector. Where I live, it's almost unheard of to play vinyl anymore. Sure I can, but most times promoters don't bother to ask, or flat out say no and only accommodate to other djs who prefer digital.

I think it's clear...this topic is beat to fucking death. I respect all forms of music performance. But to me, a nicely mixed set of wax is still slightly more enjoyable knowing that the dj carefully selected the tracks than a set played with cds. Sorry. If you take offense to that mindset, good. You let things bother you entirely too much.

I think John's words are being twisted a bit. In the end, I definitely understand what he's saying.

Think about djs you know who travel still with records in tote. I'm not talking about taking a train to the next town over with some records for a one off, I'm talking about djs who tour with a full bag. While everyone's busy crying about the validity of a digital set, which is entirely irrelevant, the idea of playing records on tour is quickly dying. Yeah yeah...I know...the convenience factor. If I was dj somebody instead of dj nobody I probably wouldn't travel with all my favorite records either. Let's face it...vinyl sets, in a bedroom or club, are being phased out...sign of the times. Why waste time getting mad about a "vinyl only" thread?
- matt
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

livecollective wrote:"respecting art" yet all this suggests is that you value the format more than the art itself
I disagree. I respect the art of pressing something onto wax. I can immensely appreciate the effort that goes into it and thought it's "about the music" yes, but more specifically about the art that comes along with vinyl... and it's about (that) type of art & expression : together...

so I suppose I should have added it's about the art in vinyl to be more specific...
infernal.techno wrote:Nothing about the thread is saying "all other forms of dj'ing are inferior to vinyl" jesus christ...let's stop treating this as another contest.
infernal.techno wrote: I think John's words are being twisted a bit.
:!:
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

john clees wrote: I disagree. I respect the art of pressing something onto wax. I can immensely appreciate the effort that goes into it and thought it's "about the music" yes, but more specifically about the art that comes along with vinyl...
good one. I don't know if you ever went to check out a vinyl pressing plant, it's pretty cool to see this entire process. And it makes you understand why it's so expensive to make vinyl. It's a craft, and I admire crafty people :)

Not to mention it's often like taking a trip back in time when factories were full of these enormous oily noisy machines rather than the clean robot-armed halls of today :)

As a dj I wouldn't go completely digital, nor would I do a vinyl only set anymore, both have benefits. But as an artist (and a label owner), it sure makes you enormously proud when you get the first vinyl in your hands with your music on it. You forget the hassle it is to make this piece of plastic and are happy like its your newborn (albeit only a fraction of how that must feel like of course).
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

PsyTox wrote: As a dj I wouldn't go completely digital, nor would I do a vinyl only.
:!: :!: :!:
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

i'd be kinda curious to see what a vinyl-only mixes thread would result in

i say, just try it out and see what happens
instead of littering this with anti-whatever crap or it's-all-about-the-music-and-not-the-format bullshit (cuz when you press vinyl, format does matter!)

vinyl mixing can be very different... at least i'll know the dj hasn't all of his tracks pre-synced
and i kinda like the limitations of vinyl mixing which does make a difference sometimes as opposed to digital

but either way of mixing is valid as long as you put your heart into it and that will ultimately be the only criteria (for me at least)

some remarks here are a bit over the top though... people leaving the forum cuz they disagree? well boo fucking hoo!

i'd see this as a nice little experiment... nothing discriminating about it
if in the end this vinyl-only thread seems silly, then take it out
where's the harm?
are we violating human rights?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

dsat wrote:i'd be kinda curious to see what a vinyl-only mixes thread . people leaving the forum cuz they disagree? well boo fcking hoo!
(-)

dsat wrote: i'd see this as a nice little experiment... nothing discriminating about it
if in the end this vinyl-only thread seems silly, then take it out
where's the harm?
are we violating human rights?

exactly. I'm still astonished at the negative energy created but something meant to be completely fun and more or less just an outlet for vinyl lovers.

can't please everyone all the time : as always..