Minimal Techno. Needing inspiration!

- music
faulk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Minimal Techno. Needing inspiration!

Post by faulk »

So, its been a while since I have posted in this forum. I am still trying to perfect my sound and still keep it interesting. Here is my two recent works that I've kinda stopped dead in my tracks due to lack of inspiration. Enjoy!

Complex

The Silentist
SKIFF
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Minimal Techno. Needing inspiration!

Post by SKIFF »

The ideas are cool. The Silentist could use like a nice Pad or a sample loop. Just an idea...
When i have trouble getting inspired its allways because im holding on to an idea or style too much.
Sometimes i just have to roll with it and surprise myself. I bet it works the same for most people.
Hope this advice helps ;)
faulk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by faulk »

Thanks! Yes, I try to work on other styles (dnb, hip hop, etc) to get my mind away from other musical projects. Apparently, a lot of people like the Silentist! I just need to get the ball rollin' on that one.
Yobi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Yobi »

Maybe u could use some more percussions? or a another deeper bassline. The second one i like the most!
Nice work :)
emoryemlyn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by emoryemlyn »

dude you are on to something cool here....its not really "minimal techno", but thats not a bad thing at all. you are just making some fun deep techno here...first loop any way. The second is very fresh, very trancy in a way. the synth has this shuffle to it....it's great man.

Your first loop, what makes it butter is the synth wash thats in it, it's timing is off so it becomes organic. but, it still feels like its missing something, yeah? you feel it to i bet. SO check it. In the track, you only have for perc sounds a straight up and down hat and clap. I say this. ditch the clap, keep the hat. now, add in some other perc sounds. find something you dont normally use, and tweek that sh!t, stretch it a bit, play with the pitch. now pattern that sh!t up all wierd and super off kilter. SUPER OFF KILTER here I'm sayin. dont let the freqs get too low on the perc tho...your low end is all used up. but doing that....you will have a track i will buy.
faulk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by faulk »

Thanks emoryemlyn and Yobi, for the feedback. Yeah, I definitely need to get some percussion up on those tracks. I think its a bit hard to make successful percussion sounds out of thin air without using a template, though. I will see what I can come up with. Thanks!