Opuswerk - There is but one Matrix (detroit techno exercise)

- music
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Opuswerk - There is but one Matrix (detroit techno exercise)

Post by Opuswerk »

Thought i'd share a small jam i did this sunday.
Something that allowed me to zone out and digest the previous week which was somehow very intense.
This is kind of part of me learning and imporving my jamming skills with the hardware i aquired last year.
Gear used include: Oberheim Matrix 1000, UWave XT, MachineDrum MKII UW, Vermona MonoLancet, Vermona Retroverb, Strymon El Capistan, Lexicon MX400, all run through the ZedR16 that's finally back after so long.
Maybe more an exercise in style than a track but you tell me.

link:
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Opuswerk - There is but one Matrix (detroit techno exerc

Post by nakoradiomies »

good groove you got there, but i would replace that 4/4 cabasa thing with some polyrythmic 808 style closed/open hi-hat thing..and some pads/strings would be good on top of it too :)

anyway, it really got potential to be really good track, reminds me bit of those old basic channels wich of course is not a bad thing!
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Thx for the feedback nakoradiomies.

I wasn't too sure about the strings, as i wanted to work mostly with the 3 polyrhythmic sounds that are there at the moment, not create much tension or anything, just a flowing groove, à la Basic Channel / Studio 1 / Eduardo de la Calle. As i said it started more as an exercise than a proper track :)

I think you're very right about the hi-hat pattern thing. I'll try this and will be recording a few more takes of it, to see how it fits.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Very nice track, really like the Basic Channel like groove you have going and the fact that it just chugs along nicely instead of doing alot of fancy stuff.

There is a problem with the balance somewhere or it hasn't been normalize cause i checked it against my own stuff and it's quite a few dBs lower. And I use no compression/mastering on my tracks.
shellbound
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by shellbound »

i like the vibe of this one. though i think you really need to bring in some percussive elements much sooner to occupy some higher frequencies. just a simple hi-hat pattern with a thin sample or just being quite and kind of in the background will make the track much more interesting i think.