Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Would love some feedback on this.

http://soundcloud.com/jonas-edenbrandt/back-home
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Jonas Edenbrandt - Back Home

Post by eggnchips »

Nice afterhour track and nice use of space by keeping it simple. Nice percussion too.
I think the synth chord stab that goes on throughout could change a bit (like you mentioned on my track with the piano)
I notice it does evolve throughout but I think evolving it on a more shorter term would keep it interesting.
Maybe shorten the decay for a few bars.
My opinion also would be to have the some of the drums/moises filtering in instead of the start stop approach. This would give it a more live feel.
My flat mate overheard this and asked me what was playing.

Good work.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Reminded me of old skool stuff, nice chiled vibe man.No need to fancy it up with white noise whooshes and stuff but I reckon a heavy reverb underneath the chords would have lifted it in areas of expectation. Nice tho! :D
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Thanks both of you, I'm gonna try your tips and i might upload a new version!
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

thx for all the feedback. I've been planning to try some of the changes you guys propose, but the computer that the track is on has stoped working and until I have time to fix it i guess this track will have to w8.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Haven't tried anything yet. The computer dosen't start at all. My brother who is a bit techsavy will come over some day and look at it so i guess it's ok. Prolly just need to buy a new powerthing.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

This is just personal taste but I think the main chord sound is too cold? Too much upper harmonics. Maybe make it smoother a bit by putting a low pass filter.

The kick reminds me very much of old detroit techno kicks.

I think the track is too stretched out (again this is a taste thing)

I think you could work on the mixdown here a bit more. The sounds don't really sound glued? You know what I mean? Some compression or gentle saturation on group tracks might help to give a uniform color and gel things together.

The main chord may be a bit too tiring because you don't change anything on it and it play through out the whole track. You know what I mean? You could bring it in and out to play with the excitement level of the track.

The idea is good, with bit more work the execution will be great.

Can I ask you how long you've been producing?
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Thx for the great feedback NewGuy. You comented on the mix on the other track i have up on soundcloud as well. The mix is something i struggle alot with could you (or any one else give me some good tips on what to try and why?)
When you say some saturation or compression to the track do you mean group a few sounds together and add compression/saturation to that track? Or do you mean to the whole thing? And if you mean a group what tracks do you usually stick together like that? Drums? Synths? The Bass?.

I've been producing off and on for almost 8 years but it's been very off and on from time to time. Can't say i've gotten "serious" and really tried to learn stuff untill the last 2 or 3 years, and even then i havn't always made music, some times it gets put on the shelf but for the last 4-5 moths i've been working continously.