Jon Trawelt - In The Night

- music
JonTrawelt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Jon Trawelt - In The Night

Post by JonTrawelt »

You can listen to the new track "In The Night" and some other songs that have not yet been heard either on myspace or facebook.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jon-Trawe ... 882?ref=ts

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jontrawelt

Feedback welcome, otherwise just enjoy the music.
Msg me for downloads.
Chris Crompton
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Chris Crompton »

Are you into Deadmau5? Your tracks on MySpace sound like Deadmau5-influenced songs.
JonTrawelt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JonTrawelt »

That 'Dreams' track was VERY deadmau5 influenced - i dont usually make songs like this one but it was just to see if i could.

I can see where you are coming from with 'Lies and Scandal' and 'In The Night' as they do have that filtering up sound that deadmau5 always uses. But i cant say his music was in my mind when i did these two.
Chris Crompton
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Chris Crompton »

Yeah well your tracks sound good, I think Lies and Scandals is your best one, or at least my favorite.

I do think they could use some refining though, as in they need to be mixed better.

And also I don't think I'd remember them the next day if I heard them in a club.

But that's just my opinion.
JonTrawelt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JonTrawelt »

I understand what you mean by not remembering them - they all are pretty ordinary and are missing a unique or defining 'hook' or some sort.

I really do want to get the production side of my tracks nailed, so is it possible you could elaborate a little more on what you mean by 'mixed better'. Is it the way the sounds sit in the mix, or does it sound like im deaf? :)

Thanks
Chris Crompton
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Chris Crompton »

Well you might do better asking someone with more experience, because although I can tell the difference between amazing and mediocre tracks, I can't always point out specifically what makes them that way. I'm still learning ;)

But I can say that, for example, "Lies and Scandals," could use more variation in the main synth line. It's like subtle stuff that gets your attention. Is that main line acting as the bass line too? If it is you could try duplicating the tracks and putting a low pass filter on the second track, and EQ it to pull the bass frequencies out more while keeping the first track as the lead line.

You could also add effects like delays/reverb to the vocals to keep it dynamic.

I hope that helps at least a little bit!
JonTrawelt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JonTrawelt »

Im also trying to figure out what exactly can make an ordinary sequence of drum loops and synths sound extraordinary. What makes a track stick out in a listeners mind. What is needed to make it someone's 'favourite'.

I think what happens in the process of making my tracks is that i come across something that i really like and then focus all my attention on it. And it that way the song looses its dynamics etc.

On a musically personal note, when you're creating a song and you know that 'now there should be something else happening at this moment' - be it percussion, a synth or pad or whatever - do you know exactly what it should be and create it or do you spend hours going through patches or samples or testing and messing around with different things until you think you've found what you looking for?
Chris Crompton
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Chris Crompton »

it all depends. sometimes I search around for something that will fit the song, and then when I stumble upon the sound, something hits me like, "this is correct."

Other times though, and usually more often, some idea/sound will enter my head randomly, or I'll hear an external sound or something, and it'll trigger an idea, and then I get the sound, and tweak 'til it's just right.

Follow your heart man, whenever you get the feeling inside that something's right, or that something needs changing, go for it, and see how it sounds.

If it doesn't work out, it's all good, just change it up. You'll know when everything comes together.