AZ 008 | Myles Sergé - interview and podcast with Azterisco

all interviews.
mylesserge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

AZ 008 | Myles Sergé - interview and podcast with Azterisco

Post by mylesserge »

Myles Sergé, es un artista originario de Grand Rapids, Michigan, actualmente radicado en Inglaterra. Creador y cabeza de sellos como Re(Form), Space, Dosed Recordings y su más reciente serie de ‘white labels’ (MS), Myles imprime toda su energía en cada una de sus producciones, donde es posible ver el reflejo de las influencias marcadas de ciudades como Detroit y Chicago.

Myles Serge, is an artist from Grand Rapids, Michigan, currently living in England. Creator and head of labels as RE(FORM), SPACE, Dosed Recordings and his latest series of 'white labels' (MS), Myles puts all his energy in each of his productions, where you can see the reflection of influences marked in cities like Detroit and Chicago.

Qué has estado haciendo últimamente?
Hombre… he estado bastante ocupado haciendo todo detrás de mis sellos [Re(Form), Space, Dosed Recordings, (MS)] y también con la creación de Säure Music Group, el cuál va a unir a los sellos bajo una misma rama. Tuve algunas presentaciones en Berlín y París, y ahora tengo una en Gales ‘The Good Robot’ en marzo. También estoy trabajando en algunos proyectos nuevos para el 2013.

What have you been up to recently?
Man… I have been very busy doing things behind the scenes my labels [RE(FORM), SPACE, DOSED RECORDINGS, (MS)] and with the creation of the Säure Music Group which puts all of the labels under one branch. I had a few Dj gigs in Berlin and Paris and an upcoming gig in Wales this March "The Good Robot". I'm also working on a few new production projects for 2013.

Cómo y donde grabaste el set?
El set fue grabado en vivo en mi estudio con 2 Technics 1200s, un mixer Korg Zero 4 y algunos vinilos seleccionados al azar.

How and where was the mix recorded?
The mix was recorded live in my studio with 2 Technics 1200s, Korg ZERO 4 Mixer, and some randomly selected vinyl.

Cuál es la idea detrás del set?
La verdad no tuve ningún ideal en el set. Yo no planeo mis Dj sets, simplemente voy con la onda del momento, entonces estoy corriendo de un lado a otro a encontrar el próximo disco justo a tiempo. Suena loco pero creo que eso me mantiene creativo, algunas veces funciona y otras no, pero creo que esa es la emoción.

Can you tell us about the idea behind the mix?
I really didn't have an ideal behind the mix. I don't pre-plan my Dj sets or mixes; I just go with the flow so I'm running all over the place to find the next record in time. It sounds crazy
but I think it keeps me creative, sometime it works and sometime it doesn't but I think that's the excitement.

Cómo es la escena en el Reino Unido?
La escena en el Reino Unido parece ser muy dinámica y vibrante, especialmente en Londres. Hay muchos sellos, fiestas y clubes que están haciendo cosas todo el tiempo. Yo solo he estado acá desde hace poco tiempo, así que no he tenido la oportunidad de explorar otras regiones pero veo que están sucediendo muchas cosas en todo el país. Desde que me mudé a Brighton en mayo, solo he tocado en Londres una vez en COMA, pero lo más destacado para mi ha sido Steevio y el festival Suzybee’s Freerotation en Gales.

How's the scene there in UK?
The scene in the UK seems to be very vibrant especially in London. There are a lot of labels, parties, and clubs that are doing things all of the time. I have only been here a short time so I haven't had the chance to explore other regions but I see a lot of things going throughout the country. Since I moved to Brighton last May I have only played in London once for COMA, but the highlight for me has been Steevio and Suzybee's Freerotation festival in Wales.

Has dicho que tus mayores influencias provienen de los primeros años de música electrónica en Detroit y Chicago. Piensas que los nuevos productores de hoy en día todavía tienen en cuenta estas? y cuáles serían de tu agrado?
Desde mi punto de vista, los productores nuevos están labrando su propio camino y haciendo su propio nombre, por ejemplo, Blawan la está rompiendo en este momento. Yo creo que la mayoría de los productores se inspiran en sus propias experiencias sin importar que esta sea de Detroit, Chicago, Berlín, Londres, Japón o hasta Texas. Detroit y Chicago pueden ser consideradas como la base de la influencia, pero yo creo que son las experiencias personales las que dan forma al estilo y sonido de cada persona. Actualmente me gusta mucho lo que hace Conforce, Markus Suckut y el material más reciente de Samuli Kemppi y Aubrey.

You have said your biggest influences come from the early days of Detroit & Chicago electronic music. Do you think the new producers still use them as well? and which producers do you like?
From what I see newer producers are carving their own path and making their own name Blawan for example is killing it right now. I believe most producers draw inspiration form their own personal experiences whiter it be from Detroit, Chicago, Berlin, London, Japan, or even Texas. Detroit and Chicago can be looked at as the foundation for influence but I think it's what you personally experience that shapes a persons productions style and sound. Currently I 'm feeling Conforce, Marcus Suckut, and the latest stuff coming from Samuli Kemppi and AUBREY.

Actualmente vives en el Reino Unido, a qué dirías que se debe el gran auge tanto en producción como en surgimiento de DJ’s que están teniendo por estos días?
No se exactamente cual es la razón de por que esté pasando esto, pero es algo bueno. Como dije anteriormente, no he estado acá mucho tiempo pero he estado hablando con algunos artistas que conozco acá y ellos parecen pensar que la generación más joven está recuperando la música electrónica y más específicamente el Techno.

Nowadays you live in the UK, in your opinion what would you be the reason for the boom such in production as with the emergence of DJ's that they're having these days?
I don't know the exact reason why this is happening but it is good. As I said before I haven't been here long but I have been talking with a few artist that I know here and they seem to think that the younger generation is re-embracing electronic music specifically techno.

De dónde sale el término ‘Perfeccionista solitario’?
Este término me lo dio un amigo y colega (dj y productor) Jon Pape en los 90′s. Yo no se el por qué lo dijo, pero creo que fue por que soy humilde y estoy debajo del radar, yo no busco atención o que la luz esté sobre mi. Me gustó el término y me pareció que yo encajaba en el, así que me quedé con él.

Where does the term 'Reclusive Perfectionist' comes from?
This term was giving to me by my friend and fellow dj / producer Jon Pape back in the 90's. I don't know why he said it but I think it was because I'm humble and I stay under the radar, I don't seek all the attention and the spotlight. I liked the term and it seemed to fit me so I stuck with it.

Podrías contarnos un poco sobre tus sellos Re(form), Dosed and Space?
Bueno, empecemos por Space. Space muestra un techno más experimental o de forma libre, que en mi opinión, no es algo que encuentres comúnmente hoy en día. Actualmente en el sello estamos Tommy Vicari Jr, Mattias Fridell y yo. Por cierto el SPC03 de Mattias Fridell (Gummosity) salió hace un par de semanas. Tenemos futuros lanzamientos planeados de ESHU y Detroit People Move aka Phrek de 6ONE6.
Dosed Recordings fue mi primer sello, el cuál nació en el 2011. El sello está simplemente enfocado en la ‘buena música’; así que no hay ningún estilo o dirección en particular, cualquier cosa desde Techno a House o Hip Hop. El último lanzamiento es un gran ejemplo de esto (DOS12D: The L&L Project) es de mis amigos Lilith (Deep Circus) y Lola aka Dakini 9 (Plan B Recordings). Este año quiero enfocarme en lanzar más discos en Dosed.
Y por último pero no menos importante Re(Form). Re(Form) se encuentra en espera. Actualmente estoy re-evaluando cosas y mirando su dirección. Los próximos lanzamientos en el sello son de Philippe Petit, Plural y uno mío. Después de eso tendré que ver que pasa con el sello.
RE(FORM)-10 ‘Myles Sergé – Cavity Creeps the REMIXES’ estará disponible pronto con remixes de Developer, Abstract Division y Plural.

Can you tell us about your record labels Re(form), Dosed and Space?
Well, lets start with SPACE. SPACE showcases a more experiential or freeform of techno that in my opinion you typically don't find today. Currently on the label is myself, Tommy Vicari Jnr., and Mattias Fridell whose release [SPC03: Mattias Fridell - Gummosity] just dropped last week. There are releases planned in the future with ESHU and Detroit People Move aka PHREK from 6ONE6. Dosed Recordings was my very first label that has been brought back to life in 2011. The label is simply focused on "Good Music"; there isn't any particular style or direction, anything from techno to house to Hip- Hop. The latest release is a great example of this [DOS12D: The L&L Project] is from my friends Lilith (Deep Circus) and Lola aka Dakini 9 (Plan B Recordings). This year I really want to focus on putting out more releases on Dosed. And last but not least is RE(FORM). RE(FORM) is in a holding pattern. I'm currently looking at the direction of the label and I'm re-evaluating things. The next scheduled releases on the label are from Philippe Petit, PLURAL, and myself. After that I will have to see what will happen with the label. RE(FORM)-10 "Myles Sergé - Cavity Creeps the REMIXES" featuring remixes from DEVELOPER, Abstract Division, and PLURAL will surface sometime this spring.

Cuál ha sido la presentación en vivo más interesante que hayas visto?
La presentación más interesante que he visto en mi vida fue en mi ciudad natal Grand Rapids, Michigan, y fue en ‘The Great Daryl Nathan’. ‘The Great Daryl Nathan’ era un tipo que tenía un programa de televisión a finales de los 90′s y estaba en el canal local de acceso público en Grand Rapids. El programa era de muy muy muy bajo presupuesto, pero era demasiado divertido. Daryl usaba una loca y larga peluca de pelo rizado, maquillaje y un esmoquin. Se hacía detrás de un teclado Yamaha que incluía una maquina de ritmos y cantaba unas canciones locas, fuera de ritmo y sin sentido. Pero tenía un altísimo número de fans y seguidores, tanto que llegó al punto en que los promotores locales de Techno lo contrataban para fiestas! yo toqué con el… fue una locura, estaba loco pero me demostró que siempre y cuando creas en ti mismo y no escuches lo que los otros piensen de ti, puedes lograr cualquier cosa!! Saludos a TGDN!!

What has been the most interesting live act you've seen in your life?
The most interesting live act I have ever seen in my life was back in my hometown of Grand Rapids Michigan and it was from "The Great Daryl Nathan". The Great Daryl Nathan was this guy who had a T.V. show in the late 90's that was on the local public access channel in Grand Rapids. The show was very very very low budget but funny as hell. Daryl he would wear this crazy long curly wig, make up, and a tuxedo. He would get behind a Yamaha keyboard that had a built in drum machine and would sing these crazy ass off beat and off key songs that didn't make any sense. But he had a HUGE number of fans and followers; it got to the point local techno promoters would book him at parties! I have played with him… It was crazy,
he was crazy but it showed me that as long as you believe in yourself and don't listen to what others think you could achieve anything!!! Shouts out to TGDN!!!

http://youtu.be/Nx6hwl-1cys

Qué es lo próximo para Myles Sergé?
Actualmente estoy trabajando en el segundo lanzamiento de la serie de (MS) y también en algunos proyectos para otros sellos que van a salir más tarde en este año.

What are you up to next?
I'm currently working on the 2nd release in the (MS) white label series and also a few projects for a few other labels that will come out this year.

Cuál fue su desayuno hoy?
De desayuno hoy tuve granola y yogurt. Ahora estoy tratando de estar saludable. (risas)

What was your breakfast today?
For breakfast today I had granola and yogurt. I'm trying to be healthy now. LOL!

Podcast link - http://azterisco.com/podcast/az-008-myles-serge/

Tracklist:

1. Jitterbug – Radio Theme [Metrolux Music]
2. Shlomi Aber – Golly Moses [Desolatx]
3. Conforce – Be There At Night [Clone Basement Series]
4. Daypayk Solo – Sick Of All This [DPK]
5. Paul Mac – Odd Things Amount To Nothing [Applied Rhythmic Technology]
6. Yan Cook – 2X2 [Ann Aimee]
7. Myk Derill – B [RE(FORM)]
8. Secluded – Confront [EarToGround]
9. 2562 – Wasteland (Head High Remix) [When In Doubt]
10. Mike Dehnert – Andruck [Delsin]