The 'Techniques for making minimal/melodic tracks' thread.

- ask away
Militikie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Militikie »

the L2 limiter from the waves collection is pretty wicked
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

thread started off good and soon dropped off, shame, coulda been a great tips resource, never seen a thread like this on here, normally GU or 4four that has this sort of behaviour
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

MarcAshken wrote:thread started off good and soon dropped off, shame, coulda been a great tips resource, never seen a thread like this on here, normally GU or 4four that has this sort of behaviour
it's a forum. period.
DanielCarew
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by DanielCarew »

I don't know how many people would consider a track like this 'melodic minimal' (Not really sure what that means), but I've always liked music that had something touching going on in terms of melody or harmony. I think the best thing that's helped me in that way was just learning basic music concepts like the different scales and keys and chords like major, minor, augmented, diminished, 7th, 9th, etc, etc... and playing around intentionally with music relationships in that way. It really helps to learn a musical instrument like piano or guitar, I find. I can't think of a better way to understand melody or harmony other than by just playing. Maybe having a music teacher would help? I know seeing a piano teacher every week certainly kept me motivated to keep on top of my playing.
tantra4
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tantra4 »

I guess I'm on the fence about this one. On one hand I completely agree that people should break all the rules and not try to copy a specific scene or genre, but on the other, one aspect of being an artist within a scene is placing those limitations on yourself,.....staying within the framework of what is minimal and pushing those specific bounderies without completely fracturing them. To quote an old Richie flyer from a Toronto party in 1996,..."what is essential? What is minimal? What is essential is minimal."
leecurtiss
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by leecurtiss »

sweet mother of mary! i was just cracking a little joke man and at my own expense at that.

my tips for making music is just to constantly keep experimenting with things just like you mentioned on the 1st post. if you find something that starts to work for you, keep going and apply it whenever you feel you can use it again. please don't take a little joke so serious, i was just breaking the seriousness of the posts up a bit.

but thank you for all that mentioned some new techniques, they are working out beautifully!
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

was the 2nd poster i was reffering to mate, not you 8)
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

MarcAshken wrote:was the 2nd poster i was reffering to mate, not you 8)
I wasn't aware i really took the thread off topic. Were you offended by something i said in-particular?

I'll admit not everything i say will always rub people the right way and it's not intended to. The reason i come to the production forums here is because i think it's great that there are so many people that are actually interested in making electronic music. Alot of the people that make the style of music i lean towards are not going to come on here because they don't want to be the one giving the different perspective. I look at it a bit differently. I see a huge amount of potential for some future spectacular artists on here and i think it's a good thing for you to all get together and help eachother learn, but if people really want to learn then they have to be willing to listen to things they don't want to hear as well as the things they do want to hear. I come here to the production forums in order to help if i can but in order to do that i have to tell the truth and my post was as honest as they come.