Loco Dice !

Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

Patrick, ofcourse it makes a difference, if someone else is really producing the music.. Anyone can say, add this, do that, spark the spliff.. that doesnt make you a producer.. He might be a good Dj, i dont know, i havent seen him. I think Martin Buttrich should get the credit..
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

Shadi Megallaa wrote:Patrick, ofcourse it makes a difference, if someone else is really producing the music.. Anyone can say, add this, do that, spark the spliff.. that doesnt make you a producer.. He might be a good Dj, i dont know, i havent seen him. I think Martin Buttrich should get the credit..
Have you ever been in a real production setting? Surely, you're right...sometimes people just say "make me a track" but there are others who have legitimate excuses. Some people simply do not have the technical knowledge to get their ideas across. I'd like to think Loco Dice is one of them. His material seems a lot different than the Martin Buttrich solo material. It doesn't take a scientist to hear or feel the difference in vibe on the Loco Dice material. That influence has to come from somewhere. Who knows, I could be wrong...but being a professional producer of 8 years I'd like to think I am right. :)

Also, I sure hope you don't like music like pop, hip hop, rock, etc. because I'd hate for you to find out that nearly ALL of that music has producers on the album...not just band members. You think U2 experienced worldwide success because Edge can play the blues? There's some serious production skills that go into recordings.

In this day and age, we're very lucky to have some people who can do it all in one. One guy can make an entire, amazing 60 minute live pa or LP. Not everybody is as talented.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

patrick bateman wrote:
mlexicon wrote:what i want to know is ......can this dude stand up on production by his own merit?...or does he need martin buttrich by his side?

id like to know what that studio session looks like....
Does it really matter?
Of course it does dude! Because you know...it's not the good music that is important...but how it was made! It's the techno elitist way! :roll:
djxlr8r
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djxlr8r »

ri wrote:
v404 wrote:Am I the only person that thinks this stuff is PROGRESSIVE!!
:lol: at v404.

think you need to go back to your digweed forum - there's too many people who know their music history here, and I don't think anyone here will buy the line that locodice's music over the last several releases is anything other than minimal-techno, minimal-house or tech-house.

:)

As for Seeing Through the Shadows - sht "house" what the fck, check some oldschool dan bell etc minimal techno and then get back to me :)
I'm not one to bash anyone for their styles of music but if you don't see the progressive elements Loco Dice incorporates on his tracks then YOU don't know you're differences in genres or don't want to accept the differences in genres. What's so hard to admit or accept the word "progressive"? Is it that bad of a word? It is what it is and minimal is heading more and more in that direction because minimal is the most "popular" style right now so other artists, and/or labels are catching up to what's most currently popular and of course will try to make their buck as much as possible.

An example I like to use a lot in discussions like this one is Peace Division. Now I know they're not minimal but they had the same fate as what minimal is going through now or will pretty soon and that is when Peace Division were barely starting in the late 90's and one guy named Danny Tenaglia came along and stumbled onto their work, Danny was then on the map having played countless records from PD even playing their tracks on his Global Underground cds and PDs early stuff was tech house (good tech house IMO) but when more and more people starting listening and catching on to PD then that's when the tech house sound pretty much turned into progressive and labels like Sondos, Hooj Choons, and 4twenty to name a few started mimicking that sound but also adding progressive elements as well and released more and more records and now it's full on progressive. sh!t, I saw on this board not to long ago a 4twenty post about Loco Dice having a track of some sort on their new release and that label is full on progressive! But I know that they weren't the only ones involved in the change to progressive and there were more artists and labels to blame but they were a big asset. This isn't a witch hunt people but just realize that their is a lot of progressive stuff that's being released that's "minimal" and there is nothing wrong with that but that's the direction minimal is taking. I personally would like to see minimal take the techno direction but if it doesn't I won't be crying myself to sleep at night. Minimal like all styles, go through cycles, fads that change and/or get old through the course of time.
Last edited by djxlr8r on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

I understand what you're saying about not having the technical ability to get your ideas that across, thats why in that case it should be a production team. A duo. If they want to have an alias or whatever its up to them, but the final product shouldn't read Loco Dice if there is someone else involved.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Shadi Megallaa wrote:I understand what you're saying about not having the technical ability to get your ideas that across, thats why in that case it should be a production team. A duo. If they want to have an alias or whatever its up to them, but the final product shouldn't read Loco Dice if there is someone else involved.
Fair enough, but if Martin really wanted more credit, it's his fault for not convincing Dice to put releases out as Loco Dice & Martin Buttrich. To be honest, I think Dice gives Martin a lot more credit and recognition than any other star would give their co-producer. Artists like DJ Hell, Marco Bailey, Chris Liebing, a majority of the trance guys, etc. all have co-producers and 90% of their hardcore fans don't even know who these co-producers are. They don't even list the co-producers in the credits half the time. I always see Dice giving props to Buttrich in interviews and reviews. Every time a Buttrich record comes out, the write ups always include the fact that he produces for Dice. I think he is getting a reasonable amount of recognition.
ibbjamin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ibbjamin »

Seeing Through Shadows was better received by others than myself. It is a good track, but didn't stand out as being worthy of making it to my record bag.

For me, his best works are his remix of Layo & Bushwaka! - Life2Live [Olmeto Records] and Menina Brasiliera [Ovum Recordings].

What are your thoughts of his newest release on Cadenza?
Right off the bat I wonder why a 4 track LP is released in 2x12" format. Never was a big fan of that format - seems like a waste of vinyl.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Well, those cadenza boys always feel the need to make 10+ minute long tracks, so you can't really fit more than one on a side of vinyl. I agree it's kind of expensive and pointless, but we all know it well sell like hot cakes cause it's the hot thing.