When mastering, where should i cut off in the low end?

- ask away
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: When mastering, where should i cut off in the low end?

Post by kdgh »

this eq'ing technique steevio is talking about is the same when your ears try to 'repair' the broken little hairs you lost while clubbing :). the little hairs around the broken one will boost themselves to emulate the function of the broken one.
SafeandSound
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SafeandSound »

1)When your full range monitors let you hear that the useless sub to useful sub ratio, has been optimized.

2)Depends on your filter slope.

Unfortunately there is no specific statement to be made here as it depends on the kick and bass lines interaction and the rest of the mix. It is a little like saying how much 3.8kHz shall I add for my mix to have presence ?

As a rule there is little of value below 25Hz in most music forms, but it does of course depend, every mix is a different piece of music and unique processing should always apply in a professional mastering job.

A good example is I have just installed MANLEY Massive Passive equalizer here (hardware) and on 1 track the 22Hz HPF was perfect on another it cut too much sub, so I used a digital filter instead. You need to use whatever works best for the music at hand.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering Studio
Mr Grey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Mr Grey »

In my tracks, there are always hpf on master. But eq8 isn't best choice, it isn't so precise. I recomended Brickwall filters from iZotope Ozone 5 or VPS Philta (there's awsome freeware version of that plugin).
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Mr Grey wrote:In my tracks, there are always hpf on master. But eq8 isn't best choice, it isn't so precise. I recomended Brickwall filters from iZotope Ozone 5 or VPS Philta (there's awsome freeware version of that plugin).
There is absolutely no reason in the universe to do something like this for electronic music. Acoustic recordings a case could be made for doing it in certain limited situations but traditional recording sessions in an acoustic space have variables that can happen the a purely electronic instrument setup just wouldn't have. All you're doing is making your track quieter for no reason by killing off harmonics. It's just a bad idea.
Mr Grey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Mr Grey »

Torque wrote:
Mr Grey wrote:In my tracks, there are always hpf on master. But eq8 isn't best choice, it isn't so precise. I recomended Brickwall filters from iZotope Ozone 5 or VPS Philta (there's awsome freeware version of that plugin).
There is absolutely no reason in the universe to do something like this for electronic music. Acoustic recordings a case could be made for doing it in certain limited situations but traditional recording sessions in an acoustic space have variables that can happen the a purely electronic instrument setup just wouldn't have. All you're doing is making your track quieter for no reason by killing off harmonics. It's just a bad idea.
Cutting low f and removing mud making my track quieter?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Mr Grey wrote:
Torque wrote:
Cutting low f and removing mud making my track quieter?
If you make cuts it will become quieter. Boost will make it louder.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

of course you can make tracks sound louder in the mid range and midbass by cutting sub frequencies out. I fiilter some acoustic sounds to remove frequencies below 25hz if they have some weird bass happening, sometimes that stuff can be good though too.

too much high passing is the enemy of good music right now though I think. I went to a mainstream "edm" club a few months ago and was shocked at how thin and shrieky the drums were most of the night in the main room. I don't think it was the soundsystem's fault either ... it was all shm and other anthemic stadium type of sounds until a half-decent tech house kind of dude played with a bit of space and body at 6am after 90% of the crowd had left.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

mehta wrote:of course you can make tracks sound louder in the mid range and midbass by cutting sub frequencies out. I fiilter some acoustic sounds to remove frequencies below 25hz if they have some weird bass happening, sometimes that stuff can be good though too.

too much high passing is the enemy of good music right now though I think. I went to a mainstream "edm" club a few months ago and was shocked at how thin and shrieky the drums were most of the night in the main room. I don't think it was the soundsystem's fault either ... it was all shm and other anthemic stadium type of sounds until a half-decent tech house kind of dude played with a bit of space and body at 6am after 90% of the crowd had left.
This is sad but it's true. And this is not only happening in the Guetta style music but also in the less mainstream berlin style music. Thin drum and hihats take completely away the movement and life of track from me. But I agree sometimes some hpf maybe be needed. What I normally do instead si applying a gentle or not so gentle slope in the very low frequencies.