Subsubsubsubsubsubgrooves.. | HELP WANTED |

- ask away
crisp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by crisp »

Buddylotion wrote:u mean in the envelopes of a clip in ableton live..?
yep that can work to, but anny program will do! Just make sure that its a sample of a kick with a full decay, not a short one cause then it gets difficult. You can even ad some gentle filtering or lfo as a finishing touch. This technique is realy used a lot in minimal production, but allso in other genres such as hip hop or drum & bass.
harvoir
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by harvoir »

simply use a sine wave, map your lfo & enevelope to midi controllers and your off. I've found the ARP 2600v killer for this. Mapping to midi controllers is faultless.
dataman
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dataman »

sine is great for that stuff.
audiostatic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by audiostatic »

quote from a old post my help tho. :D
noise sculpture

"How to make a noise: sound design and synthesiser programming", the most comprehensive guide to synthesiser programming, is now available (and it is free).

www.noisesculpture.com/index.php

should help you out guys :D
:wink:
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

To start off...Hi!!...I'm new here.

What I did lately is routing my kicks and other bass instruments in different channels in the alnalog console,eq'd and compressed the output before it went back to the soundcard...and then it struck me: you can think of a analog console as a synth; the input signals being the oscillators and the console being the part of the synth that merges the sounds. Tweaking your bass grooves this way enables you to saturate the sound, make it punchyer...Cubase's (virtual, let's not forget) mixer cannot do this (or any other software's mixer). You can do stuff with busses and plugs, but a real life console is still where it's at in my opinion...at least for us who rely on a really nice bass sound ...coz it just sounds so damn ffffatttterr and round and warm and musical...it's like there is velvet all over the groove...you get my drift? Simply put, the same thing happens with Traktor's mixer vs a Vestax or Rane or whatnot.

I just got ahold of a vintage dbx 119 compressor, so that helps too...but the analog console "trick" (not a trick as much as it is going a few years back) does wonders alone.
wmayhem
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wmayhem »

harvoir wrote:simply use a sine wave, map your lfo & enevelope to midi controllers and your off. I've found the ARP 2600v killer for this. Mapping to midi controllers is faultless.
Can you elaborate on the mapping and what that does for the groove with the 2600? Thanks.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

like everyone is saying, sinewaves.
i always add a hint of the first harmonic ( first octave ) with another sinewave, it reinforces the sub.
if your kick and bass overlap anywhere in the groove, be sure to check the tuning of the kick doesnt interfere inharmonically.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

yes since wave is the way to go. maybe 2 or three oscillators for a "in your stomach dubby bass".
The challenge is then to let well sit in the mix both kick and bassline... you'll have to EQ both signal well in order to avoid phase cancellation or situation like you have to higher the kick volume to hear it upon the bassline but then the kick is too high.
I keep the kick in the 60-80 Hz range and the bassline 40-60 more or less.