MIDI experts? MTC / sync troubles

- ask away
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

MIDI experts? MTC / sync troubles

Post by Robot Criminal »

Well just got a new MIDI interface (motu micro express) and now I'd like to sync my gear (Live, mpc1000 and some other stuff).
What would be the best sync source, the motu or the mpc? I'd better not have a computer being the master...
Any advice?

tnx.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: MIDI experts? MTC / sync troubles

Post by lem »

I'm sure I read somewhere that it is better to use the soundcard as the source as it is more tightly synced with recorded audio....

...although recent threads make me believe otherwise.

Maybe try both.

You could make a 4x4 (kick?) on live, then load the same sample into the MPC , record several minutes of it see which phases out the most?
The phasing idea is probably won't work. But you could at least listen back to it or look at where the hits shift.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Echoing on what Lem mentioned ... If you are recording with the computer using Live you will be disappointed with syncing to the MPC. Here is why, clock source won't be 100% stable, ableton will record that unstable clock as you record any audio, it will also place warp markers all over your audio as if the bpm isn't stable. Doesn't look or sound too good. Don't take my word for it though... Try it out :)

I use my live/midi express as sync source and it works pretty solid for me. (with some very rare wtf's when for some reason clock is unstable) but hey that's just me. Cheers!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

As much as I'm aware of, the sample clock (audio) and MIDI clock don't have much to do with each other?
But yeah without the micro express (with a simple I/O usb midi) slaving Live to MPC, the Live tempo drifted around constantly so I can see how this is going to be nothing but troubles.
Anyway I think I'm having it 80% working for now, at least the MMC works how I want it most of the time :D

Hydrogen what did you mean by "use live/midi express as sync source" - how do you have it set up in clockworks?
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

I can never get Midi right and would love to know how.
I tried with my MD as master and Ableton as slave, and the MD had Ableton's BPM skipping form 126-127 over the course of the track.
Does this mean that the MD isn't stable, or rather that its Midi signal isn't stable?
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

my problems with ableton and midi sync disappeared after using a firewire interface instead of usb. i use a manual track delay on all channels except my audio ins. bit of a hassle to get it right, but once you're used to it....

ableton is the master btw, it doesn't run stable when used as slave in my case.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Robot Criminal wrote:As much as I'm aware of, the sample clock (audio) and MIDI clock don't have much to do with each other?
I'm not sure on this mate. I once had sync problems with Cubase and I read* that it is often better to use the Midi on the soundcard than any external midi interface when recording audio. I was using Midi usb before and changing to the soundcard sorted it. I think it has something to do with the system clock of the computer.
Although my soundcard could have been one of my firewire soundcards which could explain the improved performance.

I just rememeber it getting better.

* Pretty sure it was a sound on sound.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

its weird but ive never ever had troubles syncing gear.

i used cubase for years, never had any trouble, used Live for a while, i've used many different interfaces, midisport 4x4, emu 1820, audio kontrol 1, plus others over the years. my studio is full of gear thats been synched up, synths, effects etc etc.

never once had any synching problem, and i always use the software as source.