Hardware polysynth up to $ 1000.. which better?

- ask away
hNRk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Hardware polysynth up to $ 1000.. which better?

Post by hNRk »

mehta wrote:
Lately, I've been running the JX3P through Pearl Effects flanger & chorus (lush analog boxes, but I only have them because they were next to nothing) with a digitech delay at the end of the chain.
do you like to up a little audio example of just these things doing some stuff? :)
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

hNRk wrote:
mehta wrote:
Lately, I've been running the JX3P through Pearl Effects flanger & chorus (lush analog boxes, but I only have them because they were next to nothing) with a digitech delay at the end of the chain.
do you like to up a little audio example of just these things doing some stuff? :)
ok here is a little bit

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gjl7lg

from this track http://soundcloud.com/mehta/stufee

really you could make a wide variety of pad type sounds with all sorts of random gear, you should just get whatever kind of synths and effects and recording devices you can and experiment with them
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

Opuswerk wrote:A few spring to my mind:
  • Waldorf uWave XT
    Matrix 1000 r
    Matrix 6 r
    MKS 70, 50, 30
    D50
    Tetr4
    Prophet 08 (but that's above $1000)
    a second hand MonoMachine could also be in your price range i reckon.

My personal favs of this list are the uWave XT and the matrix 1000. Both are really great synths, with a distinct character to the classic Roland ones. The only downside of the Matrix1000 is that it's a pain to edit, but it sounds real good.
I'll 2nd the matrix 1000
They're still pretty cheap compared to most old analog synths, and they're rather easy to find too.
I have an access matrix programmer for it, so that makes the most basic programming hands on. (you can't touch the modulation matrix without a software editor though)
the programmer is very hard to find, but you can replace them with a behringer BCR2000 by loading the right preset in it.
I've never tried it myself, but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

there's still enough old analog synths to be had for under 1000€.
I've got a JX-10, juno60, Matrix 1000, SH101,... here
All of those can be found for less than 1000€.
(I paid not even half (or 1/4) of that for each of those but that was cause I bought most many years ago)

but if I was you, I'd seriously consider getting a Prophet08
I don't think the racks go for much more than 1000€, and they sound really great.