Audio Interface

- ask away
styyn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Audio Interface

Post by styyn »

hi everyone,

i'm planning to buy an audio interface which i currently don't have. my setup is only digital now but i want to connect some rack effects. have any of you experience with the focusrite saffire 24? it looks quite nice and it has enough ins and outs. any other recommendations in the same price category?

thanks in advance!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Audio Interface

Post by tone-def »

well it's only got 2 analogue inputs so not ideal if you want to use outboard later.

other than that it looks good for the money.
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

what is your budget?
and how many inputs/outputs?
styyn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by styyn »

my budget is around 300 euro's, but i'm ok with buying second hand. of course i prefer as many outputs as i can get for the money.
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

i would suggest an used rme multiface II
or a motu ultralite (also used)
these are two audio interfaces with good converters and audio quality, plus inputs and outputs allowing you to work decently.
cheaper audio interfaces are more an intermediary solution, you would probably end spending extra money later...
my 2 cts...
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Echo Audiofire 8
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

I've got a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

Mixed opinions really - it sounds decent and has 8 analogue inputs and flexible, but on the other hand the MIDI performance and the latency can leave a lot to be desired. I'm guessing the 24 would be similar, although obviously with less I/O. Also firewire is becoming less and less supported sadly, got it on my PC but most new laptops don't have it or even an expansion card slot for a firewire card...
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

simonb wrote:I've got a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

Mixed opinions really - it sounds decent and has 8 analogue inputs and flexible, but on the other hand the MIDI performance and the latency can leave a lot to be desired. I'm guessing the 24 would be similar, although obviously with less I/O. Also firewire is becoming less and less supported sadly, got it on my PC but most new laptops don't have it or even an expansion card slot for a firewire card...
The midi is crap on this thing. Otherwise, I'm very happy with mine.

Firewire is still the best and will only be replaced with Thunderbolt. Currently, with an adapter (actually two if you're running FW 400), you can run firewire through a thunderbolt port no problem. 99% of PC laptops never came with firewire in the first place.

For the money, I'd go with Echo. When I have to replace my Pro 40, I'll be going back to Echo. Everyone talks about RME being the holy grail of converters or some sh!t, but unless your sound card was made in the 90's, any sound card is going to sound just fine. I remember a blind recording comparison posted up to gearslutz a year or two ago between Echo Audiofire, RME Fireface and something else. The results were completely across the board and the reply's guessing which was which were just that....guessing.