steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Dynaudio BM9S Sub

Post by steevio »

sTEVYsTEVE wrote:Seems to be really similar to
http://www.akaipro.com/rpm8

Am i wrong?

@Steevio: Do they trasmit well on other frequencies too?
Sounds good on other soundsystems?
i dont think you'll ever find two types of monitor that sound similar, when i bought mine i tried at least ten different monitors out in the shop, they all sounded completely different.

the HR824s are as near to flat across the frequency response as you can get imo,
i can record a track in my studio and it will sound almost exactly the same on a big club system, car stereo, mastering studio monitors etc.. i never have to tweak the EQ in a mastering suite, theyre the best monitors ive ever had.

ive heard people say they have too much bass, well not for me,
sTEVYsTEVE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sTEVYsTEVE »

steevio wrote:

Am i wrong?

i dont think you'll ever find two types of monitor that sound similar, when i bought mine i tried at least ten different monitors out in the shop, they all sounded completely different.

the HR824s are as near to flat across the frequency response as you can get imo,
i can record a track in my studio and it will sound almost exactly the same on a big club system, car stereo, mastering studio monitors etc.. i never have to tweak the EQ in a mastering suite, theyre the best monitors ive ever had.

Well, if there's too bass i think that u can just tweak the buttons that are in the rear or the speakers..am i wrong?
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

steevio wrote:

Am i wrong?

can second that, had it for a month or two now and there perfect for the price
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

sTEVYsTEVE wrote:
steevio wrote:

Am i wrong?

Well, if there's too bass i think that u can just tweak the buttons that are in the rear or the speakers..am i wrong?
yes but they are pretty extreme alterations, the first filter (47Hz) is ok for checking how your mix will sound on a beatbox / car stereo etc. basically that will make the HR824s sound more like the BM5 s, and the second filter (80Hz) gives an impression of a radio like yamaha NS10Ms but i very rarely use the 47Hz, and never use the 80Hz.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

for the price and genre the mackies are hard to beat. you might get some monitors with more detailed mids but they often lack bass.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^
i've heard people say that the mids are not as detailed as you might like on the HR824s, but it actually makes you emphasize the mids very slightly, which is a good thing for production, but tbh i dont hear it myself.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

it's just a limitation of 2 way speaker systems. you have to pick one or the other. when i was at uni one of my flat mates had 824's and the other 624's. they both sounded good but the 624's had slightly nicer mids but the 824's had up for it by having much better bass. i'd take the 824's any day, unless i was making guitar music.
spire
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by spire »

I will reinforce what others have said, which is that having a subwoofer doesn't really help your mixes or production quality in any significant way. If anything, you hear less of the mix because the sub will drown out what is coming out of your main monitors (especially if you have the sub output set too high and/or bad acoustic treatment). If you think about the fact that your low ends are mostly just "humming", with no real detail except for what you hear above ~70Hz, you realize that a sub only helps you to -physically feel- the lower end of your mix.

-But- if you have the money, I say get one. If you're like me, my monitors are also the main speakers for my computer, so having a subwoofer is nice when I just want to -bump- other people's music as loudly as possible. Just remember to turn the sub all the way down when you're making music, only occasionally turning them up to get a better feel of the low end of your mix.

Just my 0.02 cents. :]