Compression

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Compression

Post by steevio »

i know guys who get awesome results using compression,

when i say i dont use it, thats just me, i'm not saying compression is useless, everyone has their own techniques, thats what keeps it so interesting.

i love the freedom of being able to switch on my studio and start jamming immedeately and have a passable tune within ten minutes fully recorded and ready to go on vinyl, the same thing used to take me months, because i spent too much time messing around trying to use the techniques i learned as a studio engineer, like heavy EQ and compression, to make it sound highly produced,
now i want a raw punchy sound right from the start, so i spent a long time setting everything up in my studio to get that happening with the synths themselves, so as not to rely on post production.

that raw sound isnt for everyone.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:...that raw sound isnt for everyone.
I can't stand the over-produced polished sound that seems to be dominating techno-house at the moment. I think even 2006 minimal had more soul to it than some of the music out today.

What sounds raw at home can really open up on a nice rig.
djd_oz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djd_oz »

For drums and percussions I find that if you just want to change the attack/sustain without squashing the sound, the SPL Transient Designer is perfect for it.
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

lem : thanks! =)

maybe somebody thinks it would be nice reading some more tipps or getting insights how other people are doing things ... so I`ll share my current compressor settings for the 2buss. I am no Pro at all and I wasn`t a fan of 2buss treatment while mixing too, but that`s something that worked very well for me surprisingly -->

Cytomic The Glue as Compressor (SSL type thing)

Attack 10ms
Release moderate (mostly 0.4, 0.6 or 0.8 )
Ratio 2
Everything else is set to stock values like used with the blank preset (no sidechain, 100% wet and so on)

Then I bring up the threshold so the needle on the "vu" jumps to max. 2 or 3 dB.
Then I bring up the make up gain to 2 or 3 dB (the same value the needle is jumping around, so your mix with and without comp is about the same loudness)

I don't know why, but my mixes are sounding better since I am mixing into the compressor. I do a lot less of eqing and comping the several tracks with 2buss comp.

I am using 10ms attack so the transients can come through and won`t be affected. transient peaks are left for mastering (limiter).

I start tweaking the knobs and building patterns or what else, when I am ready for mixing (I don`t do mixing while production phase) I switch on the comp and adjust the threshold to 2 or 3dB gain reduction, set up the make up gain and start mixing.

The overall 2buss compression is pretty tiny so you won`t see a loudness war waveform (big block with no dynamics). The mastering engineers I`ve asked about such 2buss treatment while mixing didn`t feel like it`s ruining their mastering process... there`s enough dynamics and what else left for their work.

cheers,
t.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

lem wrote:
steevio wrote:...that raw sound isnt for everyone.
I can't stand the over-produced polished sound that seems to be dominating techno-house at the moment. I think even 2006 minimal had more soul to it than some of the music out today.

What sounds raw at home can really open up on a nice rig.
really? i would say it's gone completely the other way. 2006 minimal was the peak of clean ITB techno.

just listen to John Heckle... raw as fck! loving it!
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I don't know really, I guess it depends what u listen to. I live so far from civilization, im not really surrounded by influences.

I dont know why I specified 2006, anytime mid 2000 I guess... I was really enjoying 'tech-house' now tech-house is.... well... terrible. I don't know if its the production or the level of crap around.

I don't really know what I mean...
I know I buy a lot less music now than I ever have. I hear some good tunes every so often, but i never buy single tunes.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

lem wrote:I don't know really, I guess it depends what u listen to. I live so far from civilization, im not really surrounded by influences.

I dont know why I specified 2006, anytime mid 2000 I guess... I was really enjoying 'tech-house' now tech-house is.... well... terrible. I don't know if its the production or the level of crap around.

I don't really know what I mean...
I know I buy a lot less music now than I ever have. I hear some good tunes every so often, but i never buy single tunes.
i think it has to do with the loads of sample and looppacks that appeared in the last 5 years or so when 'minimal' became more mainstream. lots of beginning producers use them to jigsaw a few tunes together and put them on a label... a lot of the stuff sound very much the same... it's a shame really
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

I'm not using compression. I guess I don't know how to use it and I don't understand what it's for so I don't use it. I've never had a moment either where it's like...I really need to compress this or that. For mastering it would be a different story though, but I don't know how to master.

I saw this tutorial from D. Ramirez where he used shitloads of compression here and there and multiple compressors etc and that was pretty scary sh!t. I suppose you have to know what you're doing and it's better not to use it if you don't know how it works.

I wonder how many people use compression just becayse they've heard that this is the thing to do?