Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

- ask away
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

Post by Hades »

steevio wrote:i think they look the same cos the knobs are the same thats all.

you know i feel bad about giving bad press to a synth company, and i dont like putting those negative energies out into the ether, but i genuinely felt f**cked over when i bought that synth, they must have known about the problem and were still selling those encoder models...
if they'd have offered to give me the new board for free they would have made good as far as i'm concerned, and they wouldnt be getting this sh!t, and i'm far from the only one as is obvious by the other guys on this forum who bought them.

putting profit before your customers satisfaction using cheap components probably using cheap labour is typical capatalist BS, and one of the main reasons why i buy everything from small dedicated companies who mostly hand build their gear on their own premises now.
back in the day when the evolver was the only product Dave Smith had,
and everyone in synth land was raving about Dave Smith as a company,
I heard all but good stories.
I wrote an email (maybe 5 years ago or more ?) asking where I could get one in Belgium, and Dave replied back to me in no time, answering all my questions.
Friends I know bought an evolver used on ebay, and asked for replacement knobs because a few knobs were broken,
and Dave sent them free knobs. They didn't even have to pay shipping costs !
Free knobs, for a synth they bought used ! :shock:
I had never seen that kind of service before, to be honest.
I guess a lot has changed since then ?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

well just think how many people would have emailed complaining about the encoders. i guess there gets to a point where its not possible to offer everyone the upgrade for free, because it would cost them far too much money. i think they were sending out the lube for free (i cant remember now) but after using it several times i gave up doing it. once i get all the other bits i want, im sure ill go back and upgrade the p08
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:well just think how many people would have emailed complaining about the encoders. i guess there gets to a point where its not possible to offer everyone the upgrade for free, because it would cost them far too much money. i think they were sending out the lube for free (i cant remember now) but after using it several times i gave up doing it. once i get all the other bits i want, im sure ill go back and upgrade the p08
yes it would have cost them money, but how much did it cost us lot.
i dont know about you but when i spend over a thousand pounds on anything i expect it to work properly not become useless in less than 15 months.

and how much would that 'made in china' pot board really cost ? probably only a few pounds.

that machine was not fit for purpose, they should have made good even if it was only to save their reputation.

btw they didnt send me the lube.

i lost nearly £500 in just over a year selling my P08, no-one would touch the encoder model on ebay.
Last edited by steevio on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Hades wrote: Friends I know bought an evolver used on ebay, and asked for replacement knobs because a few knobs were broken,
yeah this is the kind of service you get from small independant companies.

ive had free components and sent me by Sherman, Flame and MakeNoise to either modify, upgrade or repair kit, well after warranty period

its when the mass production takes over, and keeping the shareholders happy that things start to go wrong
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i had a 5 year old module that I bought second (or even third or fourth) hand repaired for the cost of the parts by the original manufacturer. He was really apologetic that it had even failed at all.

I also has another issue with a second hand module (that was under warrenty however), that was repaired and upgraded with new design work just for me for free.

I think there's a place for bigger companies but for musical instruments I'm totally 100% happy with handmade stuff by dedicated manufacturers who are thinking of their customers in the long term, some of which offer lifetime warrenties regardless of whther it's first or second hand. I certainly wouldn't support anyone who had shafted me like that DSI story unless they had a really fucking good reason.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Hades wrote:
steevio wrote: Friends I know bought an evolver used on ebay, and asked for replacement knobs because a few knobs were broken,
I had that experience from Novation, along with new knobs, I was also sent a copy the original manual ( bought the synth 2nd hand from some charity shop )
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

::BLM:: wrote:well just think how many people would have emailed complaining about the encoders. i guess there gets to a point where its not possible to offer everyone the upgrade for free, because it would cost them far too much money. i think they were sending out the lube for free (i cant remember now) but after using it several times i gave up doing it. once i get all the other bits i want, im sure ill go back and upgrade the p08
I'm in the same boat. I've oiled up the encoders 3 times now and there is still jumpiness in a few spots. Mostly on the tuning encoders and the preset encoders. Luckily, with the preset knobs, I can use the buttons instead.

I'm going to buy the upgrade board at some point as well. I do like the synth and have been using it a lot lately. Overall, it does leave me with a sour taste about the whole thing. $1,500 is a lot of cash for a synth. They should have never seen the light of day in this condition. Since they did, the upgrade board should have been $50, not $175.00.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

steevio wrote: the staring point for every tune i write is a drone. i spend hours listening to the interactions and undulations of all the VCOs and modulators in the tune together before i envelope them off and frame them in the context of the tune, or i might leave one or two VCOs droning.
You just blew my mind.