Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

- ask away
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

Post by ray parry »

im exactly the same.

i want a mopho, but wont buy one because of the p08.

its a shame, because i make some excellent sounds out of the p08, just the encoders suck and i get so frustrated when i turn the filter knob during a recording and nothing happens. i end up having to record for ages and then use the up and down buttons to control the filter cutoff and then i go back and cut up all the audio.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

ray parry wrote:im exactly the same.

i want a mopho, but wont buy one because of the p08.

its a shame, because i make some excellent sounds out of the p08, just the encoders suck and i get so frustrated when i turn the filter knob during a recording and nothing happens. i end up having to record for ages and then use the up and down buttons to control the filter cutoff and then i go back and cut up all the audio.
Could you not just use a midi controller for the time being? surely less effort than cutting up the audio?
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

steevio wrote:
ray parry wrote:yeah i know what you mean.

i have done the lube thing already twice, but its still gone back to its shitty ways.

i was thinking of getting the upgrade, but to me that's shitty business practice that they sell a synth which a lot of people have to save up for for months for and it doesnt work properly. and then have the audacity to try and sell you an upgrade that fixes their mistake.
yeah it put me right off DSI.

to be fair though the pot kit would make it a good synth, it is actually a big upgrade, which i was thiking of doing anyway.

what really pissed me off wass the fact that i emailed DSI just before i bought my P08 asking if the pot kit was going to be made available to the desktop version of the P08, as at the time it was only for the keyboard version, and i didnt want a keyboard, and they told me they didnt have any immedeate plans to do the kit.
3 months later the pot kit came out for the desktop, i think they blatantly lied to me, and were trying to shift the shitty encoder models before the pot version came out.
i wont buy another DSI product again.
could someone maybe enlighten me on the pot department of the prophet08 ?
I played the prophet08 once for a few hours, and I loved it,
so it's definitely on my to-get-list.
did older models have crappy pots ?
do the newer models all come with better pots now, or do you have to pay for an upgrade ?
can you just buy one with the upgrade done already ?
I don't really see any info on their site, so if anyone could give me a bit more detail about this ?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

yeah older versions had shitty encoders that don't work. mine jump all over the place. dsi offer an upgrade, but it costs 200 quid.

the one you want is the potentiometer edition. dont bother with anything else otherwise you'll end up really fucked off with dsi.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

::BLM:: wrote:yeah older versions had shitty encoders that don't work. mine jump all over the place. dsi offer an upgrade, but it costs 200 quid.

the one you want is the potentiometer edition. dont bother with anything else otherwise you'll end up really fucked off with dsi.
ok thx !
but I'm safe in presuming that any new prophet08 you buy nowadays has the potentiometers and no longer the shitty encoders, right ?
I mean, how old is this problem ?

I still can't believe a company like Dave Smith makes you pay to solve a problem that is theirs in origin... :shock:
here I was, being naive thinking Dave Smith was one of the better ones out there...
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

im not sure if they still sell the older p08's. the problem is a few years old i guess.

thommann says its the pe version, but the picture looks just like the one i have and i thought the pots looked different if you upgraded. i would just ring and double check before buying as everyone i know that has one, has had problems with them.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i think they look the same cos the knobs are the same thats all.

you know i feel bad about giving bad press to a synth company, and i dont like putting those negative energies out into the ether, but i genuinely felt f**cked over when i bought that synth, they must have known about the problem and were still selling those encoder models...
if they'd have offered to give me the new board for free they would have made good as far as i'm concerned, and they wouldnt be getting this sh!t, and i'm far from the only one as is obvious by the other guys on this forum who bought them.

putting profit before your customers satisfaction using cheap components probably using cheap labour is typical capatalist BS, and one of the main reasons why i buy everything from small dedicated companies who mostly hand build their gear on their own premises now.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Its not a good time to be selling my evo..