Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:
also Digital Village have got the Minitaur listed for £499. thats a fair bit more than the competition, the Vermona Mono Lancet is £100 cheaper and Dark Energy £150.
but its a Moog

Moogs are in a different league altogether bro
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:
tone-def wrote:
also Digital Village have got the Minitaur listed for £499. thats a fair bit more than the competition, the Vermona Mono Lancet is £100 cheaper and Dark Energy £150.
but its a Moog

I understand now know what Steevio means. I was supposed to go out at 5pm, I can't get away from the SP. It is pure class.

On the subject of price, it will fall a bit soon. I think it will be around £450 after a while. I think most stuff is sold below the RRP, its just before any price wars start.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

steevio wrote:
tone-def wrote:
but its a Moog

apart from the little phatty?

i've never used a moog, but i remember you saying the lp wasnt that good im sure.

i guess we all need to wait untill this one gets released and try it out before we can really say what its going to be like.

£500 is a decent price though for what they are offering. Although for like tone said there are cheaper options and if you dont mind buying second hand there are even many more options that look more appealing. i played on the dark energy at the weekend and i really liked the sound of it. it has such a nice thick tone to it that i haven't heard before and the controls were nice compared to say my prophet08 which encoders are so bad that i cant use it anymore. the filter encoder is totally messed up, its wont move from the point where the patch starts.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ray parry wrote:
steevio wrote:
tone-def wrote:
but its a Moog

apart from the little phatty?

i've never used a moog, but i remember you saying the lp wasnt that good im sure.

i guess we all need to wait untill this one gets released and try it out before we can really say what its going to be like.

£500 is a decent price though for what they are offering. Although for like tone said there are cheaper options and if you dont mind buying second hand there are even many more options that look more appealing. i played on the dark energy at the weekend and i really liked the sound of it. it has such a nice thick tone to it that i haven't heard before and the controls were nice compared to say my prophet08 which encoders are so bad that i cant use it anymore. the filter encoder is totally messed up, its wont move from the point where the patch starts.
i dont like digital/analogue hybrids that have hardly any controls like the Phatty and the Tetra etc.. i just dont see the point of you're going to buy an analogue synth, however Moogs are in a different class when it comes to build quality and sound, nothing can touch them.

my prophet 08 died in the same way as yours and i sent DSI a robust email telling them exactly what i thought of their shitty encoders and to be fair their tech department got straight back and offered the info that i should take my P08 apart and lubricate the encoders, which i did, and it partially worked, they also offered to sell me the Pot conversion board for much less than the list price, which i didnt take them up on, instead i sold it.
however i recommend you get in touch with them and see if you can get the pot kit, otherwise you've got an expensive synth sitting doing nothing, also you can sell it once its fixed if you dont want to keep it.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

yeah i know what you mean.

i have done the lube thing already twice, but its still gone back to its shitty ways.

i was thinking of getting the upgrade, but to me that's shitty business practice that they sell a synth which a lot of people have to save up for for months for and it doesnt work properly. and then have the audacity to try and sell you an upgrade that fixes their mistake.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:i dont want to dismiss the phatty, because i'm sure loads of people love them, but for an analogue synth i couldnt handle the lack of controls.
i think the minotaur is a step int the right direction for Moog, i would go for that over the phatty any day, but why oh why no pulse width control ? it would have opened it up for so many more timbres and made it a top quality synth.

if Bob had still been alive, i reckon it would have had one.
Thats all steevio said about the phatty...
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

it was talked about in other threads before this one.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ray parry wrote:yeah i know what you mean.

i have done the lube thing already twice, but its still gone back to its shitty ways.

i was thinking of getting the upgrade, but to me that's shitty business practice that they sell a synth which a lot of people have to save up for for months for and it doesnt work properly. and then have the audacity to try and sell you an upgrade that fixes their mistake.
yeah it put me right off DSI.

to be fair though the pot kit would make it a good synth, it is actually a big upgrade, which i was thiking of doing anyway.

what really pissed me off wass the fact that i emailed DSI just before i bought my P08 asking if the pot kit was going to be made available to the desktop version of the P08, as at the time it was only for the keyboard version, and i didnt want a keyboard, and they told me they didnt have any immedeate plans to do the kit.
3 months later the pot kit came out for the desktop, i think they blatantly lied to me, and were trying to shift the shitty encoder models before the pot version came out.
i wont buy another DSI product again.

edit ; sorry i meant that they told me there were no immedeate plans for a pot version of the P08
Last edited by steevio on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.