Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Moog Anounces: Moog Minitaur ( NAMM 2012 )

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote: I get depressed with EDM sometimes. The culture and the music. I can sometimes go thru a whole night and have a great time but sometimes I get sick to my stomache and bored to tears by constant kick drums. I also find that it's really hard to explore the other spaces with electronic music without it seeming really wanky and annoying.

I want to find the hedonistic immersive side of noise and I often get depressed that no-one gets annoyed with techno like I do and that noone can find the rhythm in drone like me.
mate, dont assume that no-one else gets annoyed with techno.

i can listen to 100 techno tracks and probably only like one or two of them, same goes for house, and pretty much everything else. when i first got into techno i loved just about everything, and i craved a constant kickdrum, infact i'd have been happy listening to nothing but a kickdrum back then.
but its all been done to death now, EDM is starting to exhaust its resources, we're on our third or fourth retro wave.... blah blah,
so its time for change, innovation, fresh energy, and i dont have a problem with that.

and dont assume no-one else can find the rhythm in a drone.

the staring point for every tune i write is a drone. i spend hours listening to the interactions and undulations of all the VCOs and modulators in the tune together before i envelope them off and frame them in the context of the tune, or i might leave one or two VCOs droning. if you work with VCOs you are working with drones plain and simple. drones are nothing new, theyre as old as electronic music, if you want to listen to your VCOs without shaping them into percussive elements thats just your choice, you've chosen not to make EDM.

but for me the culture, and the empathic and restorative energies of dance music is my life, sure i get depressed with it sometimes, but mostly it nourishes my soul.

i'm not sure that giving kickdrums and simple bass synths a hard time is productive really, its like saying 'i wish all drummers and bass players in bands would fck off', instead of saying 'i'm into ambient music', those simple synths are just as capable of being part of something bigger and more complex as anything else, i'd much rather rate something on the quality of what it does, than whether it fits into my personal idea of how things should be.

anyways OT and i'm not having a dig bro, just fealt the need to put forward a counter argument on this beautiful morning.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

no offence taken steevio, it didn't feel like a dig and you're just saying where you're at. i think i needed a bit of a kick up the arse like that.

i want to find something new but I don't need to knock what other people are doing, and every musician talking from the soul means what they say, however they choose to express it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i think its interesting that the tiptop roland modules are a big talking point on Muffs, but everyone is putting up clips of the bd808 through a plague bearer or whatever, they kind of see it as a starting point, not an end in itself.

back on topic, i think if i was wanting to get a start in OTB synthesis, a minotaur would be a good cheap way to get going, plus you are getting the Moog quality, which will make fresh out of the boxers realise the potential of analogue synthesis from the start.

that damn missing PW control though argggh
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

hasn't the taurus got a different signal path to the voyager? they sound different i think?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:I need to come up to Wales!

Check out my post on eurorack muff's. Not sure if you would have an opinion or not.
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49882
sorry missed this one bro,

you're welcome..just say when and i'll let you know if i'm free.

will check out muffs later
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

tone-def wrote:hasn't the taurus got a different signal path to the voyager? they sound different i think?
Where did you hear it? I heard a tiny bit of audio from the video but apart from that, zilch!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

the Voyager is capable of such a wide range of sounds, how can you say with certainty that they sound different ?

you would have to compare like for like exact same (as close as is possible ) patches
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

AK wrote:
tone-def wrote:hasn't the taurus got a different signal path to the voyager? they sound different i think?
Where did you hear it? I heard a tiny bit of audio from the video but apart from that, zilch!
i haven't heard this new one but it's should have a similar tone to the taurus 3. have a listen to the sound clips on the moog site

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/tauru ... ass-pedals

also Digital Village have got the Minitaur listed for £499. thats a fair bit more than the competition, the Vermona Mono Lancet is £100 cheaper and Dark Energy £150.