Dave Smith Evolver

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Dave Smith Evolver

Post by lem »

Anyone own one? What do you think to it?
I am kind isolated where I am so there is nowhere I can try it out.
One paper it looks pretty deep, I can think of many uses for it. But it kinda depends on how good the osc's and filters are. I know that some of you guys arn't the biggest fans of the DSI stuff.

I would love to know your thoughts.

p.s - I think I have seen a similar topic, but I couldn't find it....
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Dave Smith Evolver

Post by tsankip »

Would be interested in knowing more about this synth too!

Some Rachmad's Evolver action (one of the presets I think):

lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I found the old thread, http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=62607

Has anyone got anything to add. About to take the plunge......
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

The encoders feel horrible and using the matrix wasn't for me. I liked the filter but the oscillators were not the most analogue sounding. If its pure analogue sound your after this isn't the right synth. It's very much a hybrid and slightly more digital. Kind of a 60-40 split.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Thanks for the reply AJ.
I have always been cautious of DCO synths. I kinda need to play with one to get an idea of how the oscillators sound. Apparently the oscillators overdrive easily and you can make them sound smoother by turning them down. I want to be able to get fairly smooth analogue tones out of it. The demo's I have heard are a bit gritty sounding, but then I have no idea what kind of settings they are using. I'm sure I can get smooth analogish tones out of it, but if it sounds any good in this area is the sort of thing I think I will only know through playing around with it for a while...

Have you still got yours AJ?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Maybe that overdriving is what i dislike about the tetra... (sh!t though, you already know i don't like dsi stuff very much ;) ) i was just in the store playing with the mopho keyboard and then stepped over the the little phatty and started laughing to myself that moog has some balls! anyways back to evolver...

I've played on an evolver once and thought it was pretty cool, but i didn't really like the programmer all that much. I'll echo Tonys point about the encoders, i used the keyboard version where there is many of these encoders and they just don't feel right. its like those crappy mopho encoders plastic nubs ugh... that said i'm sure there are lots of tracks made with this thing... whats your reasoning for wanting one?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

hydrogen wrote:.....whats your reasoning for wanting one?
F*ck, thats a good question lol!

I guess it's because;
I can't afford a modular,
It's got a lot of modulation options,
Lots of LFO's and EG's,
Sequencer(s),
I'm quite liking the sound of the delays,
I'm getting into smaller instruments,
Live performance?

But I know if I don't like the sound of the Osc's and filters, it doesn't matter what bells and whistles it has got.
Interface doesn't bother me at the moment (I'm sure it will when I have got the thing!)

If I had to buy one new I would consider saving the extra for a slim phatty. I know what I am getting for the money. It's not as flexible as the Evo so it's easier to hear what I want to hear from the demos. But all the demo's I hear of the evo are not showing what I want to see. Altough from the spec I can tell I could get different things from it.

If I get one 2nd hand I would consider changing the pots if I don't like them. If I bought new I would do this after the warranty has expired.
Pigeon Provider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Pigeon Provider »

tone-def wrote:The encoders feel horrible and using the matrix wasn't for me. I liked the filter but the oscillators were not the most analogue sounding. If its pure analogue sound your after this isn't the right synth. It's very much a hybrid and slightly more digital. Kind of a 60-40 split.
I agree, Weird unit to work around.