SH-101 Mains Hum

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: SH-101 Mains Hum

Post by AK »

Ah!!!! That's cleared that up then and probably why I fucked up with the machinedrum attempts. I was sending it a pulse that was either on the first beat of the bar, OR I was actually programming that pulse in as a pattern like say 1,3,4,7,11 or whatever.... and then I was scratching my head wondering what the hell was going on...

I'll be trying that out then once I've showered, thanks for that. :D
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

This has got me thinking about not even needing a kenton pro solo now, gonna give the 16ths a try and send a rim shot from my output on soundcard into the clk in, hopefully it works no problem could save me some cash!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

gowans wrote:This has got me thinking about not even needing a kenton pro solo now, gonna give the 16ths a try and send a rim shot from my output on soundcard into the clk in, hopefully it works no problem could save me some cash!
if it doesnt work, try altering the volume (velocity) of the rimshot, this affectively changing the voltage of the trigger.

it needs to be roughly between 2 and 10 Volts, so if the rimshot volume is too low, it may not trigger.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

well guys - did it work ???
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

yeah ive got it working fine triggering from output of soundcard, now its just the sequencer on the 101 that is confusing the life out of me, cant get anything in time, it sounds mad, some nice weird rhythms but im wanting some stuff in time to just work it out, im pressing load, then playing a note then pressing the rest key for a pause, for instance ive being doing this: 16th notes rim shot in an ableton channel going to external clock in of 101. i'm then pressing load, hitting 1 note then rest for 2,3,4, note on 5, rest for 6,7,8, note on 9, rest on 10,11,12, note on 13, rest on 14,15,16, which should give me 4 notes playing on a 4/4 ? but its just mad fast n that?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

you're doing something wrong.

ok, dont have anything running, just press load on your 101, press one key once, then press play on your 101.

then start your daw, what happens ?

it should be playing the same pattern as your rimshot, if its 16ths it should be playing the note you pressed in 16ths in time with rimshot, however there may be a delay to compensate for in your DAW
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

it just plays the one note in time with the notes in my midi line. what confuses me is when i start adding more notes, how do u get stuff in time, like say e f g a on 1 2 3 4 beats, ie 4/4?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I'm using the machinedrum to trigger mine, much easier than doing it via the sbs for just clock stuff. It triggers but, it doesn't do it right. I actually did what you just outlined above, I had a pulse in 16ths on a channel on the MD outputted to the 101's ext clock in, entered a single note in the sequencer - so without the ext clock connected, it does indeed repeat in 16ths but when clocked from the MD, it changes. It randomizes a bit. It will play say 16ths for say 5 steps ( but this seems to be random ) , then hang/pause on a note and off it goes again. So it's locked in, it's just note getting every 16th.

This might explain why a 4/4 pattern internally programmed becomes a polyrhythmic pattern when clocked on mine.

Maybe it's the impulse I'm sending from the MD? Gonna try and come up with something else to send it and see what happens. By the way, I'm a bit concerned about the PSU, I tried it again when gowans was describing his hum or whatever he gets and I get a noise/crackle thing going on. BUT, it gets recorded into the audio file I was making. That can't be right surely, does this mean it's not the PSU but something internal?