Average Number of Channels in a Song

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Average Number of Channels in a Song

Post by Phase Ghost »

Some dialogue from the mixer thread got me thinking about the number of tracks most people are using in a tune. I'm using Logic as the main midi host with Numerology rewired, but that's only sending midi. I'm going to list audio tracks I have in Logic.

1) EXS24 sampler for drums with 3 stereo outs and one mono out for the kick
2) Ultrabeat or Drum Spillage with multi outs (number varies)
3) Two channels from the modular
4) Prophet 08 (isn't always used)
5) EXS24 for samples or Granite AU (or both!)
5) 4 aux effects sends and I add busses when I see fit.

That's pretty much my standard setup. I do quite often record or bounce a modular channel and then re-use an input for another track. Or sometimes add another sampler channel or multi-track the prophet.

Sometimes I see images of people's Logic project and I'm like -boom . There's like 60 channels in the arrange window. Most of the time it's a channel for each little sound. That seems so tedious to me, especially if you're drawing in all the notes.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Average Number of Channels in a Song

Post by Barfunkel »

typically one mono channel for kick, one mono channel for hihats, one mono channel for clap/snare, one mono-channel for bassline, one stereo channel for chords and such from the Monomachine. Sometimes an extra mono or stereo channel for another synth sound. And that's it. My soundcard has only 8 inputs so I can't record more since I always record my tracks as live takes. Hopefully will expand that in the future, I'd like to add a few more channels to my setup. I'll probably get the A&H Zed R16 so I can use 16 tracks. That's more than enough for my needs, I like to keep things simple.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

hey Barfunkel, you have some nice grooves on your soundcloud. I was wondering... do you work in mono only because you are limited by the number of tracks you can record with or would you choose to do things the same way if you were not constrained by those kinds of logistics?
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

My drum machine (vermona DRM 1 mk III) is in mono, that's why. I also like to record basslines in mono, as stereo is not needed for bassy noises (humans can't really hear direction that well with low noise).

I'd like to add a few more channels though, atm I sometimes have to record 2 or even 3 Monomachine sounds on the same track. Hopefully I will get the money to buy the Zed some day.

I like to keep things simple and minimalistic. I don't like layering stuff, I believe that a sound source should be good enough by itself.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

just out of interest, what soundcard have you got? if it has adat you could expand with a behringer ada8000 and get 8 more ins and outs.
just a sugestion...

i would probably record my drums seperatly then record synth parts then overdub drums as needed.
i do like your approach of doing it all in one go tho...
its just if channels are being rationed.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

using 30 - 50 channels that probably ends up to 15 bus channels.
i don't really resample, so lots of the channels are layers of certain elements.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

lem wrote:just out of interest, what soundcard have you got? if it has adat you could expand with a behringer ada8000 and get 8 more ins and outs.
just a sugestion...
I am aware of that option and I've been thinking about it. However, I also want to upgrade my mixer (better EQ, better sound quality than my crappy Mackie) so the Allen & Heath Zed R16 seem like the best option for me.
i would probably record my drums seperatly then record synth parts then overdub drums as needed.
i do like your approach of doing it all in one go tho...
its just if channels are being rationed.
I pretty much hate the idea of overdubbing stuff. I like to keep things simple and raw with a live vibe to it (as much as that's even possible in techno).
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

i use a breakout ADAT box with my fireface400. seriously though... in the last year i've done tons of experiments where i layer 5 tracks of highhats... 4 tracks of shakers. just to get a huge sound and tons of dynamic stuff going on... at some point i have to merge the tracks but i like to keep them separated as long as possible... then i can adjust the dynamics of the mix much better... so some tracks are like 30 - 40 channels in this way... but you are still only hearing your standard like 8 instruments you know what i mean? I used to like even seperating tracks for different notes that play and process those differently... you can tune each tone with various methods of saturation and stuff...

However, now with the new hardware that i've been incorporating .... gear I find this stuff is kind of happening automatically, so things just come together much quicker, sounds are instantly big in the mix and I actually need less tracks. BUT even still i do plenty of double tracking on my juno just to have a bigger sound and i can pan the tracks differently to get a wider signal.

I DO love to keep it simple... I used to todo exactly what barfunkel described 8 tracks... that's it.... but lately I've been just working this way and i like the sounds i create using these techniques. no restrictions no rules for me anymore other than to keep it in the pocket and make the mix dynamic as fck. :)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest