- ask away
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Hardware Synthesizer: Analog // Digital // Virtual Analg

Post by deccard »

steevio wrote:
there is also coming soon a polyphonic VCO module from Tiptop audio,
can you tell me a bit more about that module or provide a link?

what i read on muffwiggler is that polyphonic modulars are kind of a pain in the arse to build. also the vermona perfourmer mk2 is coming. 4 voice vco for 1300,- euros...
dont think you can build something in that quality in eurorack for that price.
techno made me do it
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

steevio wrote:
Casanova808 wrote:
So buy a DX100, an MPC, and a mastering unit. Then put all of your money into a good mixer and four solid chains worth of boutique effects. If a synth costs more than $150, it isn't worth owning.
i'm pretty sure you are joking about the $150

i make my effects with the synthesizers, i dont use effects. i think of effects as inferior synthesizers.. each to his own i suppose.
Two approaches for sure! You can get a great synth for less $150. I'm using a $30 casio mini synth that sounds amazing when i run it through a tape delay.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

No, $150 isn't a joke. That can buy you a DX-21, a TG-33, a SY22, any of the Casio CZ series, and pretty much most of the unfashionable digital synths from 88-93. For another 100 you can get into 6op fm, emu romplers, and samplers.

I am all hardware, but I am done paying $1,000 for some 30 year old sh!t that is about to break. Digital isn't sexy, but it is a hell of a lot more reliable. "Vintage" analogue can kiss my ass.

PRO TIP: Want any of those to sound analogue? Get a $100 Electro Harmonix Memory Boy delay, and run them 100% wet with 0 delay time and no feedback. All of a sudden that bright, glassy digital synth sounds warm and murky. Take that signal and run it through digital delay and nice reverb and you are golden.

The thing to remember is that I have 15 years of programming synths under my belt. If I was to recommend something to a total noob, I would say get a Juno106, a cheap midi sequencer, and a couple of effects pedals and spend 6 months twiddling sliders. That set up will not rocket you instantly into the beatport top ten, but you will have a lot of fun with your toys.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

deccard wrote:
steevio wrote:
there is also coming soon a polyphonic VCO module from Tiptop audio,
can you tell me a bit more about that module or provide a link?

what i read on muffwiggler is that polyphonic modulars are kind of a pain in the arse to build. also the vermona perfourmer mk2 is coming. 4 voice vco for 1300,- euros...
dont think you can build something in that quality in eurorack for that price.
here's a link to an article about it mate;

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/07/tiptop ... voice.html

maybe polyphony isnt easy with modulars because you have to buy loads more modules, but with the likes of this TipTop 8 voice, things will change.

but its a mistake to think you have to have polyphony for pads and such, you just need enough VCOs and modulators, i can get awesome pads with my monophonic Voyager.

i never think polyphony with my modular, you dont have to, its a different way of working.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Casanova808 wrote:No, $150 isn't a joke. That can buy you a DX-21, a TG-33, a SY22, any of the Casio CZ series,
i know you can buy synths for that, but i have some of those synths propping open my studio door, ive had an SY22, and ive still got a CZ101 and CZ3000
they are horrible synths.

you are just talking about different working methods, personally i need to be able to create and tweak my own synthesizer, rather than staring at an LED readout of something i can't touch.

the Juno 106 was one of my first synthesizers, good recommendation. its a little stiff with the DCOs but nevertheless great for a noob.

however the OP seems to have plenty of money, why bother with a Juno 106 ?
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

i know you can buy synths for that, but i have some of those synths propping open my studio door, ive had an SY22, and ive still got a CZ101 and CZ3000
Jeff Mills and Derrick May made a lot of great records with those "horrible" synths. I've always thought that the measure of your talent is what you do with the cheap nasty stuff. If it was good enough for them, it is good enough for me.

What do you think of that TC Electronics D-two? Does it every get into grungy territory or is it a clean digital delay with a low pass filter?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Casanova808 wrote:
Jeff Mills and Derrick May made a lot of great records with those "horrible" synths. I've always thought that the measure of your talent is what you do with the cheap nasty stuff. If it was good enough for them, it is good enough for me.

What do you think of that TC Electronics D-two? Does it every get into grungy territory or is it a clean digital delay with a low pass filter?
yes i know those guys did amazing things with horrible synths, and that is because they are way more talented than us peasants.
but i'd still like to hear what derrick would do now with whats avaiable now. not enough of those guys do anything anymore.
times have moved on, theres better production values on even some of the demos on this site than on some of the old classic records.

i wonder where we would be if Jimi Hendrix had the attitude of 'well a battered old acoustic with a pickup gaffered on was good enough for Blind Lemon Jefferson, then its good enough for me' ;)

yes the TC DTwo is good at Delay, but i wouldnt call it grungy
maybe look at a BBD delay for grunge.
i'm not using it much, because i prefer to make delays out of the actual synth patterns.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

yes i know those guys did amazing things with horrible synths, and that is because they are way more talented than us peasants.
but i'd still like to hear what derrick would do now with whats avaiable now. not enough of those guys do anything anymore.
times have moved on, theres better production values on even some of the demos on this site than on some of the old classic records.
I wouldn't say production values are better, they are just different. It is like the difference between the production sound of early 60's garage rock records, vs early 80's garage revival records. Technically a lot of those early 80's records are more well engineered, but a lot of them sound thin and weedy compared to those old muddy 60's productions. I think techno and house in 2011 are in the same boat. You have better sounding records that are way less interesting.

The trick is to use a similar process, but say things musically that were not said on those old records. I think when you get away from the lo-fi aspect of house and techno you lose a lot of the charm that made them good in the first place.
i wonder where we would be if Jimi Hendrix had the attitude of 'well a battered old acoustic with a pickup gaffered on was good enough for Blind Lemon Jefferson, then its good enough for me' ;)
In that case you should sell your modular and make Skrillex knock off tunes with Sylenth. That guy is the new Jimi Hendrix.