Looking to buy a monomachine.

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Looking to buy a monomachine.

Post by hydrogen »

one thing that consistently frustrates me about the elektron products is the inability to copy all pages for all tracks from one page to another. Is there any good work arounds for this?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

If I understood the question correctly, it's not possible to copy many pages (page as in one of the four 16 step pages) at once, you need to copy them one at a time. Never needed such a feature though and the page copy function is pretty fast anyway, even if you need to copy multiple pages it shouldn't take longer than a few seconds.

They are, however, automatically copied when you, for example, have created one 16 step page, then change the pattern length to 32 steps; the second page is automatically a copy of the first one.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Barfunkel wrote:If I understood the question correctly, it's not possible to copy many pages (page as in one of the four 16 step pages) at once, you need to copy them one at a time. Never needed such a feature though and the page copy function is pretty fast anyway, even if you need to copy multiple pages it shouldn't take longer than a few seconds.

They are, however, automatically copied when you, for example, have created one 16 step page, then change the pattern length to 32 steps; the second page is automatically a copy of the first one.
This is the type of stuff that reminds me of why i got into software development and really stayed away from hardware for so long. Something that i'll just have to re-train myself to move faster so i can achieve just as much.

the part about creating 1 16step page doesn't seem to ever work for me... probably because once i switch to 32 steps and make some patterns it won't let me go back to the 16 step to do the propagating trick again. :(

anyways... the monomachine sounds fucking awesome. it reminds me very much of the many grooveboxes you can find in reaktor.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

That's the beauty of hardware, limitations. I hate working with a computer, it's just endless hours of going through an endless amount of options. With the right hardware I can make a track in 30-60 minutes.

Of course, everyone has their own way of working, a piece of gear that suits me (like the Monomachine) might be horrible in someone else's hands.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Had to resurface this thread as I have got some interest back in the monomachine. I have downloaded the manual to try and find out a bit more about it but some things aren't clear to me. I want to know if any of the machines allow you to mix in a noise waveform like you could do on most regular synths? In the manual, I'm seeing a lot of sub oscillator references but I can't see to see any suggestion of adding noise to any of them. I'm not on about noise as an individual machine, I'm just on about it as an option to mix in with any of the oscillator types.

?
djd_oz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djd_oz »

For noise you have 3 options,

1) Use the GND-NS machine on one track and layer it with whatever you want with another track.

2) Load a Noise single cycle waveform into the DigiPro banks, and you can mix this with another waveform using the DigiPro DDRW machine.

3) There is also a noise generator in the SID machine that you may use.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Got ya. I'm just looking through that page in the manual now. Man, some of the things they put in their manuals are quite funny how they word them. It says about ground GND machine, "This machine consists of basically nothing at all" :lol:

What is it and why is it there if it consists of nothing at all?
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

I wish Monomachine had a noise oscillator in some of the machines, replacing some useless features (like the 2 sub oscillators in the SWAVE-machine, why on earth anyone would need 2 subs?). But alas, it doesn't work that way. I assume there's a slight possibility that a future update would include a noise source for some machines, as Elektron often listens to user's suggestions (and I've suggested the noise oscillator on the Elektron forum before).

Naturally, you CAN always use the GND-SIN machine, but it's wasting 2 machines of the 6 available, and you of course lose the possibility of doing, say, a manual filter sweep that affects both the noise and basic oscillators.

The DDRW-machine trick works, which reminds me that I should FINALLY replace the stock waveforms with something more exciting.