Selling your tracks...Can I sell my remix/edit? How?!

- open
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Selling your tracks...Can I sell my remix/edit? How?!

Post by kristofason »

I made a cheeky remix of a track from the 80's and put it out to a few people. One of which was Greg Wilson who has been playing it in his sets since he got it and really rates it...
because of this I've been inundated with requests for the track on my soundcloud page and email. My 100 downoad capacity is up and people are still inboxing me everyday asking when its gettin released.
Had I known that the track would have got this kind of reaction I would have (tried hard to) saved money and maybe get some presses on vinyl ,bootleg styee (might not have happened tho)....
As I'm basially poor at the minute,Is there any way of doing this internet style ?

or am I being greedy and should be giving it out for free?!

Thanks!
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Selling your tracks...Can I sell my remix/edit? How?!

Post by patrick bateman »

sendspace, rapidshare, yousendit etc etc etc
your own webserver

bla bla bla
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

You could set up a bandcamp as I think you can sell on there.

You could also do direct sales. Just set up a paypal and an email and sell through that. Just say on your soundcloud page that it can be bought via your email.

If that doesnt sit well with you just do as Patrick says.
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

that track is fukin good btw
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

well, if you decide to sell it, be careful, get the samples cleared or you'll end up with a lot of misery if the publishers ever come across it.
Or take all that feedback, get the file offline, go to a good label in that style and let them do the clearing etc etc, and make a proper release out of it. These kinds of chances don't come around very often so try to use it as the perfect leap to bigger and better :)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

keep it in your back pocket hook it up to friends. or press some vinyl its a great edit! maybe even mail wilson personally for some advice.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

Thanks so far for the comments etc!!
Thing is, I've already allowed 100 downloads so its not like no ones got it... have I fucked up by doing this??,
I will say tho that the version that was up for download isn't as sparkley and well mixed down as the mix I've done recently...
I did think of askin Greg for advice...I wouldn't know how to word it tho, might sound a bit greedy sayin ''shall I sell this or not?''....
Pressin up some vinyls might be an option, where could I go to get that done or do I try sendin it to a label or summut??

Cheers for the advice by the way, I really am confused as to what to do...!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

email greg also email the 6th borough guys and norme de plume.

i just think you should try and not get a definete answer of if you should sell it or not... but word it what do you think i should do with this? when you email the 6th bourough guys be sure to name drop wilson. put the new one in both of their drop boxes.

wish i had more ideas but who cares if 100 people have it already. thats pretty awesome accomplishment i think. :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest