mixing studio vs headphones

- ask away
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

mixing studio vs headphones

Post by Stomper »

I have a problem with my room (window, glasses in the door which were replaced and vibrate with low end) the studio is also my bedroom so theres no way i can position the speakers to a sweat spot. its rented so i dont want to put any treatment on the walls.

my mixes are just not as good as i want them to be (when listening in more proper studios, where other tracks do sound good there). i think my issues are mostly in the bass and low mid frequencies.

i thought of two solutions and im not sure which one would be better.
1. new headphones (looking at sennheiser hd650 atm) with a plugin like Redline Monitor
2. find a decent priced mixing engineer that will do that for me.

any thoughts?
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: mixing studio vs headphones

Post by kdgh »

3. adapt to your room.
4. move to a different place
5. hire a low-budget garage and fix that as a studio
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

kdgh wrote:3. adapt to your room.
4. move to a different place
5. hire a low-budget garage and fix that as a studio
im in the same room for two years now, if it didnt happen i dont expect it to be any time soon.
no money for both 4 and 5.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

Make some frames yourself and fill it isolation material. no need to configure them onto your wall. You can also place it where you want it to.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Im guessing that it is a small room...
As you probably know, small rooms are a pain acoustically. The problem with treatment is that it takes up a lot of space to do properly, and in very small rooms (that have the worst problems) space is what you don't have.

You could try just chucking a duvet onto the window, and some blu-tak on the door? If its the door itself, old socks are good.
I check my mixes through my headphones. If you have access to a studio maybe tweek it there?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

what are the exact dimensions of your room ?

download this free mode calculator and you can work out exactly which frequencies are resonating.
http://www.microscopics.co.uk/blog/2009 ... alculator/

then if you check on a frequency / note chart you can work out which bass notes are causing the vibration, and avoid those notes in your basslines, or use a different key.
my studio is full of windows and they all rattled till i sorted them all out, just by wedging small pieces of wood into the frames where the windows opened, and attaching pieces of carpet across the really rattley windows. now i have no problems.

way better than using headphones mate.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

about the frames, thought of that. but than i figured that wooden frame will just be noisy. or am i wrong?
like i said, when listening in other places, my main problems are the low-mid low and i dont have even a place for bass traps.

@lem, i used folded papers on the door to stop it from making noise and the window is also ok.
i also reference with my headphones (sony mdr7506) but their not good enough in the low frequencies imo.
i have a friend with proper studio, but its a 40min drive and also i use a lot of uad plugins which he doesnt own -frown 2

not trying to be negative, but i thought of many solutions and the two i wrote looks like the only options that can work.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

steevio wrote:what are the exact dimensions of your room ?

download this free mode calculator and you can work out exactly which frequencies are resonating.
http://www.microscopics.co.uk/blog/2009 ... alculator/

then if you check on a frequency / note chart you can work out which bass notes are causing the vibration, and avoid those notes in your basslines, or use a different key.
my studio is full of windows and they all rattled till i sorted them all out, just by wedging small pieces of wood into the frames where the windows opened, and attaching pieces of carpet across the really rattley windows. now i have no problems.

way better than using headphones mate.
thanks for the advice. but i think i didnt explain my self well enough.
i did fixed the door and window from making noise. i know that my problems are in the low-low mid but because its also a bedroom, i have no place for bass traps and i dont want to put any treatment on the wall (wood frames will just be noisy i think).
the calculator would be good if i didnt have a bed and a closet in the room :)