Is Techno Dying?

- open
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Is Techno Dying?

Post by tone-def »

i wouldn't say minimal is dead. it's probably bigger than all the stuff we're saying is in. it's just become the mainstream kind of house and techno, like electro house was a few years ago and funky house before that.

i never go to those kind of nights so i could be wrong.
astley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by astley »

I'm happy it's not dead in Amsterdam. Awakenings is always packed and imo the 909 is timeless. If you hear a 909 fucking loud with a good rhythm its amazing. Speedy j killed it last awakefest and he played straight techno huge kicks and rides. Capriati makes great tunes, slam is making great tunes etc etc. To me that ringing 909 ride and booming kick are timeless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzUMaW38iQ

sweat dripping off the ceiling :)
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

It's not dying may be just drifting out from the limelight.
In my eyes pop is taking over.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

In the U.S. it's brostep all the way. They might go for a little bit of electro house or drum and bass. There's also some bastardized form of dancehall called moombatron that's catching on.

I talked to a "dj" the other day who had been attending raves for about 5 years. He thought all music with a 4/4 beat was called trance, and wouldn't shut the fck up about his bitcrusher in Ableton Live.

Ableton should cost 10 times as much. Stealing it should be punishable by death. That would fix electronic music.

For now, you can still hear good techno or house in the big cities, but it's super dead in isolated areas.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

trak660 wrote:In the U.S. it's brostep all the way. They might go for a little bit of electro house or drum and bass. There's also some bastardized form of dancehall called moombatron that's catching on.
Apparently it's a cross between Dutch house and reggaeton. Basically the spawn of Satan in other words.
astley wrote:To me that ringing 909 ride and booming kick are timeless.
909 sounds are a bit overused to an extent... but I recently saw Ben Klock and one of the best tracks he played pretty much consisted of a 909 kick and rimshot and nothing else, sounded amazing over the big system :D
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

simonb wrote:
trak660 wrote:In the U.S. it's brostep all the way. They might go for a little bit of electro house or drum and bass. There's also some bastardized form of dancehall called moombatron that's catching on.
Apparently it's a cross between "dirty Dutch house" and reggaeton. Basically the spawn of Satan in other words.
astley wrote:To me that ringing 909 ride and booming kick are timeless.
909 sounds are a bit overused to an extent... but I recently saw Ben Klock and one of the best tracks he played pretty much consisted of a 909 kick and rimshot and nothing else, sounded amazing over the big system :D
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

simonb wrote:
Apparently it's a cross between Dutch house and reggaeton. Basically the spawn of Satan in other words.
sounds a bit like the sh!t side of UK funky.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

Funny, how when minimal was blowing up a few years ago - many members on this forum were complaining that it's too mainstream, getting too big, getting too popular - now people are wondering "is techno dying?".

I doubt Techno will die, at least anytime soon - but the trendiness of Techno, or the particular sub-genre-of-the-moment will go through peak periods, and quiet periods.

One of the things I like about Techno, is the diversity of sound that it encompasses. To me, what initially attracted me to techno was how it sounded like sci-fi future music, weird sounds, clicks, glitches, beats, stuff that made me wonder "how can this be music?" but at the same time pulled me in and got my ass shaking. Just because newer Techno is not rehashing the same sounds of the 90s/early 2000's does not mean that techno is dying - it means that Techno is doing what it does best, and is marching forward.

There are some great releases that are updating that 90's type sound, putting a fresh spin on it. There is stuff that sounds like sci-fi future music. There is stuff that is riding the wave of melting genres - bass, dub, electro, house, live instruments, PAs into one big cacophony of booty-shaking head nodding music.

Techno, or well "Minimal Techno" is leaving the lime-light of the current trendy genre. Stuff like Jamie Jones, Art Department, more discoy-fused/deep house is getting popular - but Techno is still kicking along strong as ever, and maybe with all the trend-followers jumping ship - Techno will now get a bit more room to breath now that the flood of 'Hoping to get released on Minus' songs are being replaced with 'Hoping to get released on Wolf+Lamb/Crosstown/etc songs'

The current trendy stuff isn't catching my ear that much right now, but when it comes to techno releases I've been finding - there has been lots that has been getting me going.