Is Techno Dying?

- open
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Is Techno Dying?

Post by ::BLM:: »

I have seen loads of decent nights up in Scotland. You have rubadub pushing all things underground no?
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

Can Techno ever die? I dont think it can.. I see it as something constantly evolving and changing.. something difficult to define really
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

your absolutely right Ciaran - to be honest I wanted to provoke some discussion. There are so many subgenres its difficult to pin them all down to Techno\House\ etc...
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

anyone going to the osgut ton night tomorrow?
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

tone-def wrote:London, i'm surprised things are that different up there.

there are a lot of good promoters putting on good acts, but the scene is dominated by fashionable house.
nights that have guests like art department will have a much bigger crowd than norman nodge, ben klock or regis.

We have Forward Strategy Group & Sigha later this year, CODE has Lucy in January and I think Shifted might be playing here in November.
So there is good techno artists being booked, but it's hard when there just isn't a crowd for it.. and nights that still play minimal or ibiza house continue to flourish.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

wax works wrote:
tone-def wrote:London, i'm surprised things are that different up there.

there are a lot of good promoters putting on good acts, but the scene is dominated by fashionable house.
nights that have guests like art department will have a much bigger crowd than norman nodge, ben klock or regis.

We have Forward Strategy Group & Sigha later this year, CODE has Lucy in January and I think Shifted might be playing here in November.
So there is good techno artists being booked, but it's hard when there just isn't a crowd for it.. and nights that still play minimal or ibiza house continue to flourish.
Yeah, the whole Art Dept/Jamie Jones/Crosstown sound is massive up here, techno (excepting the usual old big-names at Pressure) just doesn't really get the same size of crowd.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

Exactly Simon, but I think or I hope atleast, that over time more and more people will start to go to the techno nights.

I think a lot of promoters could do a lot more for each other though, Glasgow has too many nights competing for a limited crowd.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I think we just have all sorts of sounds in London. Art Department sound is big, as is the tech house fodder stuff. There are a lot of good nights in London that are also dead. It's hard everywhere I guess.