How do you get your groove

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How do you get your groove

Post by steevio »

Ingemar wrote:agree with steevio, but also I would like to point out silence. I find short bursts of silence to be the foundation of a groove, a constant sound is seldom groovy, and if it is, it has a good dynamic range
that was what i meant by space, but yes punctuation with absolute silence works really well too, used as an actual rhythmic element.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

Casanova808 wrote:Move to the south side of Chicago.
don't do it! my car got broken into twice, hit by a truck while parked and stolen all in the same year

@ steevio

right on man, wiki actually defines having silence in between hits as one of the first essential components to a convincing beat. i know you meant actually removing a sound for a moment. but its the same more or less. the osc scope is good for that

another trick i found is to reference another song (not groove extract). but bring an actual sound of equal BPM into your project and make sure the first hit lines up on the grid, then see which sounds fall where relative to the straight grid. you can also use this to check which sounds have equal distance always in the groove and which ones are constantly moving
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RichardLodge »

Some great suggestions here thanks.

Really like the idea of making a groove template from your own playing.

Also using delays I'll try.

Totally agree about space/silence... very Miles Davis "It's not the notes you play... It's the notes you don't play"
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

NoAffiliation wrote:
Casanova808 wrote:Move to the south side of Chicago.
don't do it! my car got broken into twice, hit by a truck while parked and stolen all in the same year
Yeah but you also made some serious grooves! :)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

groove comes natural, either you got it or you don't. IF you dont and your trying to get it, it will sound forced.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i copy and paste each drum sound into audacity. no quantizing, no sequencing, just beats laid down by hand. i build loops this way and then carve out the rest after i have a solid stone block of sound.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

about 'either you got it or you don't' ... just do your own thing. everyone has their own inner funk. just play sounds that you like and eventually your inner funk will show itself. My inner funk happens to be oceans of distorted sad tone, but hey, you can't choose these things.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

livecollective wrote:groove comes natural, either you got it or you don't. IF you dont and your trying to get it, it will sound forced.
That's bullshit mate! Did you read it somewhere? Hope you were being sarcastic...

Some get their grooves going straight away, some might have to work a bit harder and spend loads of time to get the groove on. Background noise/sound loops can also add quite a bit of groove or space. Also might not want to have too many sounds going on, sometimes less is more ;)