anyone use an analogue step sequencer?

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: anyone use an analogue step sequencer?

Post by ::BLM:: »

regarding sequencers for a liveset what are people using?
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

I use the MachineDrum to sequence my monoLancet when paying live, but i hear Skudge are using the MAQ16/3 MIDI Analog Sequencer, which looks like loads of fun. I suppose you can save/load patterns on that and simply jam it.
I do wonder if there's some kind of pattern recall function, as in if you play the pattern and tweak it if there's an easy way to get back to the original one. It's one thing that can really lack on the MachineDrum, even though there's the ultra powerfull reload kit function, it doesn't reload the actual pattern, only the kit that is playing...

Also i guess you could use the Octatrack now, as it features quite an impressive MIDI sequencer in it.

I'm also very interested in this "analog" way of sequencing. Very fun, intuitive and full of surprises.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

thanks... i'm not really fussed if its analog or digital, just need something that isn't Ableton. I was thinking about getting an mpc to use for a live show.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

I was also wondering about getting an MPC for liveset, as Maschine did quite a good job the other time, but is quite a cpu hog and has some downsides. Haven't studied that option well enough though. How would you set it up? and what other gear were you thinking of using?

I must say i quite like knobs more than pad, so i'm more leaning towards the doepfer kind of things...
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
catchpenny
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by catchpenny »

I'm thinking about a live set where i just use numerology hooked up to my bcr2000 to sort of emulate this. not sure whether to just use it as stand alone or run it through ableton. sorry, not really on topic but.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I really have no idea how I would set it up. I guess I would want to somehow transfer how I make music into a club environment. If i were to use Albeton I would just do it all in the clip mode.

A channel for my kicks
I would group the rest of the drums and have them playing as audio files apart from the clap perhaps.
midi files for the synth stuff (bass, pads, effects etc..)
then I would use my novation remote to control everything going on in Ableton.

It's so much effort. I have been thinking about doing this for years now, but never got around to it.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Hardware step sequencing seems seriously expensive, - at least what I looked at. That Numerology looks the dogs but it's Mac only.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

hate to bring up the M word, but it does shine at this sort of thing, and compared to other analogue step sequencers the price is similar, but with modular you can just pay for the bits you need, so relatively it does well enough.

One of my favourite sequencers cost me 144 dollars.