San Fransisco

- open
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

San Fransisco

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Visiting San Fransisco and San Jose this week and just wondering if there is any good record stores or bars clubs i need to check out.

Thx for the tips!
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: San Fransisco

Post by cloutier »

for sf, go to amoeba for vinyl. the place is absolutely gigantic, and if you're looking for more than just house or techno (the used section there will easily consume a day of your life - but there's no decks to preview things), you could be there for more than one day. its monstrous and has basically everything.

as for clubs...

go to 222 hyde. holds about 50 people, insane turbosound rig, and usually always good music. outside of that, depending on what dates you might be there, there could be an as you like it party, or kontrol on the first saturday of the month.

if you're there on a tuesday, though, go to rosamunde and get their burger special. you won't regret it.
http://www.sframbler.com/2011/05/rosamu ... ay-burger/

and while you're at it, and waiting for your burger, go next door to toronado and have one of the bajillion good beers they have.

if you're smart, you just start at one end of the haight and move your way up to amoeba at the other side. lots of really cool shops, bars, and restaurants. you might even find another record store.

also, if you're a gear junky, and still walking up haight...robot speak. one of the best synth stores i've ever been to, next to 5g in tokyo.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Caley Martin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Caley Martin »

oooh San Jose, that's my neck of the woods... unfortunately, all our decent record stores closed up shop years ago. But as far as bars are concerned, you might want to check out Cinebar and Jack's in downtown, and Cardiff in Campbell. Cardiff is a lounge that has hip hop on Wednesdays and house on Thursdays through Sundays... but depending on the night it might be SUPER vocal housey sounding.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

cloutier wrote:for sf, go to amoeba for vinyl. the place is absolutely gigantic, and if you're looking for more than just house or techno (the used section there will easily consume a day of your life - but there's no decks to preview things), you could be there for more than one day. its monstrous and has basically everything.

as for clubs...

go to 222 hyde. holds about 50 people, insane turbosound rig, and usually always good music. outside of that, depending on what dates you might be there, there could be an as you like it party, or kontrol on the first saturday of the month.

if you're there on a tuesday, though, go to rosamunde and get their burger special. you won't regret it.
http://www.sframbler.com/2011/05/rosamu ... ay-burger/
222 is nice, the forward late nights are nice, check out 'as you like it' if they doing something... not sure.

Also, you don't go to Rosamunde (24th and mission) and get the burger special lol. You get one of their sausages, or go to show dogs on market if you want.

Also I am not sure what has come of Robot Speak, I think they are closed. Still lots to see and do.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

livecollective wrote: Also, you don't go to Rosamunde (24th and mission) and get the burger special lol. You get one of their sausages, or go to show dogs on market if you want.
obviously you've never had the burger at rosamunde...

its probably the best burger i've ever eaten.

platesofbeef
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by platesofbeef »

Groove Merchant is halfway up Haight if you want to have a sneaky look for some hip hop, soul or funk. Nice wee store with nice folk serving you.

Can someone from San Fran (or with knowledge of) remind me the name of the pub on Haight that is decked out with stickers all over the walls and bar? It looks like a 'proper' pub from the outside too. Magic place, with great beers.

Would love to get back to San Fran. Unlikely though.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

platesofbeef wrote: Can someone from San Fran (or with knowledge of) remind me the name of the pub on Haight that is decked out with stickers all over the walls and bar? It looks like a 'proper' pub from the outside too. Magic place, with great beers.
noc nocs? zeitgeist?

platesofbeef
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by platesofbeef »

Tornado! Found it. Thanks for chipping in though fella.

I'm sure there was a scottish guy (long time left the country though) working behind the bar in there when I was in (4 years ago). Couldn't believe I was talking about scottish football over beers in the middle of Haight. Cracking boozer, no doubt.